Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
YS2003
macrumors 68020

Do you keep DVD/CD cases for Movie and Music?

I am going to move and I noticed I have too many DVDs/CDs (Movie and Music respectively). For music CDs, I have already put them in the thick CD holder. I have not yet done for DVDs (I bought the holder already). Do you keep the DVD/CD cases with you after you organize them?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
zap2
macrumors 604

I just burn them onto my Mac, then lose them, well for what few CDs I buy(most are iTMS)..for DVDs, I always keep the case
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:15 PM   #3
cycocelica
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to cycocelica
I have all of my DVDs in Case Logic leather binders. They work great. They protect the DVDs and they look really nice (easy to clean too)
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:21 PM   #4
brassplayersrok
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to brassplayersrok
i as well keep the my dvds in a protective case. for a student they are a great space saver. when i go home on breaks i just bring the dvd boxes with me and put them on the shelf. for some reason a dvd without its box is kinda weird to me.

alex
brassplayersrok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Benjamindaines
macrumors 68030

I keep the cases, I rip them into iTunes then put the CDs / DVDs back in their boxes put them in a pile somewhere. They get lost, but at lest when I find them I know they will be in perfect condition.

Benjamindaines is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:04 AM   #6
YS2003
macrumors 68020

Thanks for the comments. So there are more keepers for CD / DVD caes.

But, if you have to re-located to an overseas location, would you pack them and ship them to your new place? Those CD cases could be heavy and the shipping cost can not be cheap.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:17 AM   #7
balamw

I've had good success with DiscSox http://www.discsox.com. The DJ sleeves allow for all the stuff in the CD jewel box to be stored with the CD in MUCH less weight and space.

My CD collection now lives in a series of boxes ~2 cubic feet whereas before it was an entire bookshelf. (Of course the content is in iTunes, on my iPod, ...)

DVDs are still in their original cases.

B
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Foxglove9
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Foxglove9 Send a message via Yahoo to Foxglove9
I keep all my CD/DVD's in their original cases on bookshelves. In the case of CD's I rip them to my computer then after I read the liner notes a few times the CD goes on the shelf for storage.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:50 AM   #9
rockthecasbah
macrumors 68020

Yes I keep them all, I have a bunch of CDs stacked in this tall tower. That tower's growth has dwindled though since I buy most of my music on the iTMS now. As for DVDs, I keep them as well. My collecetion of DVDs is admittedly not very vast, so I don't have spacial problems.

I'd advise just throwing them all in a box, put them up in the attic or whatever and save them in case you decide to want them back.
"Ignore her, she's a feminist"
rockthecasbah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:44 AM   #10
it5five
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove9 View Post
I keep all my CD/DVD's in their original cases on bookshelves. In the case of CD's I rip them to my computer then after I read the liner notes a few times the CD goes on the shelf for storage.
Same.

I couldn't imagine putting my DVDs into a case. I had done that with my CDs and the book/case was stolen. All of the CDs there in one easy to carry case; not good.
it5five is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:51 PM   #11
nadyne
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to nadyne Send a message via AIM to nadyne Send a message via MSN to nadyne Send a message via Yahoo to nadyne Send a message via Skype™ to nadyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by YS2003 View Post
Thanks for the comments. So there are more keepers for CD / DVD caes.
But, if you have to re-located to an overseas location, would you pack them and ship them to your new place? Those CD cases could be heavy and the shipping cost can not be cheap.
I shipped my CDs when I moved overseas. I wasn't in any hurry to get them (all of the music was ripped onto my server), so I sent them via sea mail and got them about a month later. (This was shipping from Australia to America.) In retrospect, I could've taken the box of CDs with me to the airport and checked it as excess luggage, since the fee for that isn't terribly bad (and not that much more than what I paid for sea mail), and I wouldn't've had to wait a month to receive them.
nadyne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:13 AM   #12
YS2003
macrumors 68020

I decided to get rid of the empty CD cases. With DVD tiles over 120, I came to the conclusion I simply don't have the space anymore.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:38 AM   #13
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by YS2003 View Post
I decided to get rid of the empty CD cases. With DVD tiles over 120, I came to the conclusion I simply don't have the space anymore.
What did you decide to store them in now that you eliminated the boxes?

B

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion