Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spike099

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Canada
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for anything as to where to start about integrating an app with iPhoto. I've never used .Mac but i'm sure what it does is similar to what I want to do. I want to build on app where you can create an album and have that album appear in iPhoto. Of course there is more that I want, but if I could find some info on where to start with that, then im sure it would explain more.

Does anyone know of any tutorials or documentation on how to do this?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
iPhoto works with .Mac, not the other way round. There is no public API for altering or manipulating iPhoto from an external program. You can use AppleScript UI Scripting to drive iPhoto like a user. That's the only current method.

iPhoto does create an XML file that external applications can read to get the current iPhoto library structure, albums etc. But this is not 2 way: adding to this file will not do anything within iPhoto: it uses it's own proprietary binary database that you cannot safely alter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.