Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
This is a really cool idea, harnessing the tidal power for electricity. Imagine the possiblilies.... Most of the human population is near the ocean.... And the moon never takes a day off like the wind, so it is reliable.

BBC's Link

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
Very cool. I wonder how they keep the turbines from snagging all the garbage down there. It seems like they would get fouled up with seaweed, barnacles, discarded fishing nets, and all that stuff.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think that there have been some other tidal turbines installed in a Fjord in Norway - not sure.

Its a great idea and has huge potential - the only thing to worry about is large sea mammals getting hit by the blades.....although the one good thing is that they don't move all that fast.

And in places where the tides are extreme - over 10m - these turbines could really make an impact.

D

macfan

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Very cool. You could even set up a system (like a flywheel) that would allow for power to be stored for those very short points in the day when the tide is changing and might not drive the turbine.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I see it as an awesome alternative energy source. With all the untapped beaches of the world. Being a mile offshore it wouldn't hurt anyones view, which is the complaint that the envionmentalist have here in the Boston area. Another plus that with the turbines turning at 20 times per minute not hurting marine life!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.