Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shorty116

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
a friend of mine has an external drive formatted FAT32. She plugged it into a Windows PC and after that it couldn't be read by the mac anymore. happened twice, so reformatting will most likely do nothing. i personally am on a macbook pro and the drive is recognized. what's the problem with her mac? btw. hers ibook G4 os 10.3.9 - i'm on a macbook pro running os 10.4.9

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Did she reformat the drive on the PC? If so, it might now be NTFS in which case she can't do much with it and you can only read it (no adding or modifying).

shorty116

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
nope, just copied some stuff over to the pc. the problem is just that i don't know where to start, because it's running fine on my mac but her mac says it is not recognized.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, can she try a different cable and port? Is the iBook plugged into the power adaptor when you're trying to access the drive? Plug it in to make sure the iBook's USB or Firewire port(s) are getting as much power as they can. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.