Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1
benneh
macrumors member

Desktop to-do list

hello all!

I'm looking for any application that allows you to compile your To-do list, and have it on your desktop..

Google has suggested iCal, but I hardly use that...
And also I don't like the one where its housed on the toolbar (you have to click to view the list)
I like my list apparent so I know what to do (or else I'll pretend I didn't see it and not do..)

Something like Rainlender http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php for XP...

thnx!
benneh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:24 AM   #2
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Here's a Dashboard widget that I use...DoBeDo. It works in conjunction with iCal. Maybe you could use that in conjunction with this?
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:06 AM   #3
benneh
macrumors member

cool, i'm playing with it now, but how do you delete tasks off DeBoDe itself?
benneh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:16 AM   #4
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

I believe they'll disappear after a preset number of days after completion that you can set on the backside of the widget. One problem with having outside of the normal dashboard environment might be it's communication with iCal. I've never had it on the desktop (in devmode).

I usually end up deleting stuff in iCal as soon when I complete it anyways. You might also check out iCalevents for appointments and all-day events/holidays. I use the two widgets for reminders, but do most of the actual to-do/appointment stuff inside iCal. Then add on sticky widgets and alarms for real important stuff.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:50 AM   #5
ekologik
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
Here's a Dashboard widget that I use...DoBeDo. It works in conjunction with iCal. Maybe you could use that in conjunction with this?
this was useful until the point that i realized that the widget would be on top of everything in my main screen, not just on the desktop. any way around that so it appears only on the desktop?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Achiever
macrumors 6502

TaskPaper

I use and like TaskPaper.

http://hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper
Achiever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:51 AM   #7
acxz
macrumors regular

You could also try Anxiety.
acxz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Batt
macrumors 65816

I've been using Stickies for years for this stuff. Works great and it's free. Collapse the window and it's out of the way. Use six of 'em if you want. Different colors if needed. Can't hurt to try it out.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:52 AM   #9
ekologik
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acxz View Post
this is great! just what i was looking for.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:11 PM   #10
itistoday
macrumors newbie

I recommend todo.sh combined with GeekTool. Both a free, but require a bit of terminal experience. It'll let you put an actual todo list on your desktop:

itistoday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:49 AM   #11
ekologik
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
I recommend todo.sh combined with GeekTool. Both a free, but require a bit of terminal experience. It'll let you put an actual todo list on your desktop:

thanks, but i think i read that this is a separate to-do list, not the one used in iCal, right? i'm a fan of syncing everything... lol
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:30 PM   #12
ich1ban
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekologik View Post
Thanks, also just found what I needed
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:43 AM   #13
itistoday
macrumors newbie

Quote:
thanks, but i think i read that this is a separate to-do list, not the one used in iCal, right? i'm a fan of syncing everything... lol
Yup, I guess it just depends on which one you use more often, and for me the terminal is always accessible while iCal sits closed in the Dock.
itistoday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:17 PM   #14
DallasTim
macrumors newbie

I posted this on another thread, but I think it's a good answer to this question as well.

Instead of using a text file for a to-do list, why not use the built-in Tasks feature of iCal? You can display calendar events and tasks from GeekTool once you install the free utility called icalBuddy. Install that, then just put something like this in GeekTool:

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy eventsToday

or

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy uncompletedTasks

icalBuddy is HIGHLY configurable, so you can tweak it to get just the data you want, in just the format you want.

Tim
DallasTim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:20 AM   #15
shonamelissa
macrumors newbie

'Anxiety' is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acxz View Post
Quote:

I googled this question and found this post. Just wanted to thank you for the tip on 'Anxiety' it fantastic and exactly what I needed! Soo simple and doesn't take up room on my dock, sits neatly in the taskbar, works quickly and even syncs to ical! Brilliant!
shonamelissa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:02 AM   #16
techmangonewild
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonamelissa View Post
I googled this question and found this post. Just wanted to thank you for the tip on 'Anxiety' it fantastic and exactly what I needed! Soo simple and doesn't take up room on my dock, sits neatly in the taskbar, works quickly and even syncs to ical! Brilliant!
Looks great, but it doesn't sync with my iPhone 4... or does it and I just don't see how to do it?
techmangonewild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:41 AM   #17
shonamelissa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmangonewild View Post
Looks great, but it doesn't sync with my iPhone 4... or does it and I just don't see how to do it?
No, unfortunately it doesn't sync with the iPhone independently... however it does sync with iCal so does iCal sync with your iPhone?
shonamelissa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 02:48 AM   #18
Nikh
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Hi.
It looks like ToDo Lists by AntLogic can help you. This application allows you to create any number of todo lists, make them float atop of other windows, roll them up, translucent windows, etc.

Within the next version (1.2, which now is on the review by Apple) it will also sync with iCal, and via that with almost any iPhone application which supports iCal sync (we tested with 2Do, and some other apps available on the market).
Old May 30, 2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Nikh
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Just today found very nice and free dashboard widget: http://todo.philipefatio.com/
It works directly with iCal database, so all your data will be kept synced (almost all well known iOS todo applications can sync with iCal).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store