Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Hey all!

Figured I could ask the experts here for some advice.

I recently sold my PC which was my music machine. It had a nice Audigy 2 sound card that went directly to my surround sound system (Logitech Z5500). Now that it's gone I am left to play stereo through these babies using the standard audio out on my MacBook.

Question is, what sort of external sound card is out there that will give me my surround back and the quality/db that the audigy had?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys,

Sincerely,

DOlsson

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Your MB can be hooked up to a receiver via a toslink optical cable (goes right into the standard headphone jack). From there you should be able to send in 5.1 via software. You might want to post this on the Digital Audio forum.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Your MB can be hooked up to a receiver via a toslink optical cable (goes right into the standard headphone jack). From there you should be able to send in 5.1 via software. You might want to post this on the Digital Audio forum.
That's one way to do it, but some apps don't support sending the 5.1 audio through optical (almost every single game, for example). DVDs and such work fine, though.

This should do the trick, if you don't want to use a receiver with optical in and want to make sure it works with everything. Basically it's just a external soundcard with the 3 3.5mm jacks for connecting your 5.1 set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.