Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
After two days of Googling this one, I figured I'd post here... maybe someone knows of something I missed.

I'm trying to find a program that will allow me to assemble a playlist of video files and play them out (full screen) to either a secondary monitor or via Firewire (to a DV>analog box). I need gapless playback -- a seamless transition between clips.

I need to be able to easily modify the playlist on the fly, adding, deleting, or rearranging clips while one is playing.

I also need the ability to create one playlist while another one is playing, and the ability to schedule that playlist to start at a specific time.

Any suggestions as to a program that might help me out? Thanks in advance for any advice!

clarksbrother

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
I'm in a similar boat as you - I've run across a few solutions for the Mac but nothing for the PC. Not sure about the scheduling option but I'm pretty sure the other software needs are met.

Here are the a few I've found:

QClip (output via firewire)

OnTheAir
(output via firewire)

Wirecast 3 (output via 2nd monitor on Mac only - that feature doesn't work on PC)

The caveats I've found is QClip can ONLY run Quicktime files and that OnTheAir can only run DV files (and I'm not sure if it was just because I was running a demo or not but it seemed buggy and constantly crashed)
Wirecast seems like the best bang for the buck and can play virtually any file type.

Now - a bit of a followup for what I'm looking for in case anyone else out there sees this and has any ideas

I Need:

A program for the PC that will allow me to assemble a playlist of video files and play them out (full screen) to either a secondary monitor or via Firewire (Preferable). I need gapless playback -- a seamless transition between clips (preferably with the option of transitions between).

I need to be able to easily modify the playlist on the fly, adding, deleting, or rearranging clips while one is playing.

I need the ability to play various file formats interchangebly (AVI, DV, MOV, DIVX, XVID, MPEG etc etc etc)

I am currently using Video2DV which is a marvelous program and does everything I need EXCEPT for gapless playback and the ability to update the playlist on the fly.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

benstiglitz

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
BitPlayer does almost everything you need. I believe there’s a setting in the preferences that lets you choose which screen to use for full-screen playback.

Disclaimer: I am 50% of Tanjero, but I wrote <1% of BitPlayer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.