Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000

"The Console War Thread" Experiment has failed.

I'd like to make a formal post that the "The Console War Thread" experiment has failed and is now only serving to make this forum less and less worthwhile.

It seems any thread that happens to mention both PS3 and 360, or has any post that has any sort of comparison of different consoles gets moved their.

It's poor management that has killed the "experiment" and is ruining the fun and usefulness of this forum.

I guess the ban of MRU was indeed the ill-omen I thought it could be... more of this and I'm leaving too. It's been fun (or used to be)!
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2
killmoms
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
HOLY DRAMA-MAMA, BATMAN!
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000

Indeed.

There have been plenty of complaints about the threads being moved, not just mine. But it's enough to tip me over the edge of annoyance into... activist, or whatever...

It's dumb, and the drama bores me.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
I'd have to agree.

Not leaving, but it is becoming a little silly.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:07 AM   #5
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Sign me up for that petition. I've tried to complain about similar issues before (different thread, same issue, though). I even did it in the Feedback section. It got locked and basically ignored. Then it got deleted! Not just wastelanded, but deleted! Then my numerous PMs about the issue were ignored.

I predict a similar fate for this thread because the current mod staff seems to more interested in having a "clean" looking forum than, I don't know, a useful one.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:09 PM   #6
echeck
macrumors 68000

Although I agree that the current "managing" of the threads is ridiculous, what else can be done?

The bottom line is that there simply isn't the level of maturity needed to discuss things in a civilized manner.

Whenever a Wii, PS3 or 360 thread is created there is always someone that has to pop in and throw around some very unneccesary comments which then gets everyone riled up.

Personally I don't blame the mods entirely, it's the forum members that can't hold their tongues and play nice.

I didn't realize MRU got banned. Of course I don't know the circumstances, maybe he deserved it, but I can think of quite a few other folks that are perpetual antaganizers that should be banned as well.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:15 PM   #7
yellow

I'm sure the MRU's short lived ban was for a reason between him and the mods/admins. Please remember that a forum is not a democracy. It is a friendly totalitarian regime.
yellow is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:15 PM   #8
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgEEk View Post
Although I agree that the current "managing" of the threads is ridiculous, what else can be done?

The bottom line is that there simply isn't the level of maturity needed to discuss things in a civilized manner.

Whenever a Wii, PS3 or 360 thread is created there is always someone that has to pop in and throw around some very unneccesary comments which then gets everyone riled up.

Personally I don't blame the mods entirely, it's the forum members that can't hold their tongues and play nice.

I didn't realize MRU got banned. Of course I don't know the circumstances, maybe he deserved it, but I can think of quite a few other folks that are perpetual antaganizers that should be banned as well.
Here's a thought: either let users decide if they want to read a thread, and if they do and don't want to read what a particular person who might be "ruining" the thread has to say they can add them to their block list.

If the post is particularly and unnecessarily offensive they can (and have in the past) deleted that one post. Why ruin a ton of otherwise fun discussion by making it IMPOSSIBLE to wade through any of it. (The thread is too long, and the constant random addition of other discussions to it make it very difficult to follow).

If it really bothers some mod, why not create a sub-forum for "console war" discussion, like they did with the politics forum over in the general discussion area? Then they can keep moving the threads, but over to a new location where at least the talk can be continued and not hampered by lumping it into a 1500 post long mess?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:18 PM   #9
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
I'm sure the MRU's short lived ban was for a reason between him and the mods/admins. Please remember that a forum is not a democracy. It is a friendly totalitarian regime.
I saw that ban mentioned and didn't know what it was over, so I did a quick search for any post by MRU in any open forum. Nothing there. Seems they've gone and deleted every post he ever made. Now, sure they can do whatever they want, it's not a democracy as you point out. But, how is removing all his posts helpful? Further, if moderation on a site reaches the point where it bothers users, they will eventually do the only thing they can do: leave. And that sort of defeats the purpose of having a forum.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:21 PM   #10
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post
I saw that ban mentioned and didn't know what it was over, so I did a quick search for any post by MRU in any open forum. Nothing there. Seems they've gone and deleted every post he ever made. Now, sure they can do whatever they want, it's not a democracy as you point out. But, how is removing all his posts helpful?
Uhhh... forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MRU = MacRumorUser?

Who still has 6,899 posts?

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=57197

Perhaps I am off my rocker and it's someone else completely. I don't typically stray into the game subforum anymore, as it seems to be reduced to name calling and "fanboism", and I get sucked in all too easily.
yellow is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:23 PM   #11
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

You are leaving MR because you feel that you can no longer discuss the new consoles anymore? I'm not seeing the logic behind this one. Maybe you should try IGN or Game Informer for your video game needs and MR for your Mac needs. I wouldn't go to IGN to discuss OS X.

There were too many threads about the consoles and there are way to many new ones created everyday. The same things keep being repeated over-and-over. What else could the mods have done?

The mods do a great job around here and I applaud them for the time and effort they put in to the site. Its not like they get paid or anything.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:27 PM   #12
MacNut
macrumors P6

There is an easy solution, just get rid of the Games forum. If the kid's can't play nice with their toys you take them away.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:33 PM   #13
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
Uhhh... forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MRU = MacRumorUser?

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=57197

Perhaps I am off my rocker and it's someone else completely. I don't typically stray into the game subforum anymore, as it seems to be reduced to name calling and "fanboism", and I get sucked in all too easily.
Do a search for posts by username and get back with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
You are leaving MR because you feel that you can no longer discuss the new consoles anymore? I'm not seeing the logic behind this one. Maybe you should try IGN or Game Informer for your video game needs and MR for your Mac needs. I wouldn't go to IGN to discuss OS X.

There were too many threads about the consoles and there are way to many new ones created everyday. The same things keep being repeated over-and-over. What else could the mods have done?

The mods do a great job around here and I applaud them for the time and effort they put in to the site. Its not like they get paid or anything.
MR used to have one of the best gaming forums round. Who cares if it's a site intended for Apple stuff, the users are generally intelligent and like games. I've proposed an easy solution if they didn't want lots of console discussion popping up in the main games forum. They could keep moving threads they don't like if they want that way, but the people who want to have those discussion could keep doing so.

The mods do a decent job for the most part, but they used to do much better. It's not just the gaming forum where they have been overusing the move and lock commands. Yes, they are volunteers, and don't HAVE to do this. All the more reason to let the users ignore what they don't want to read, block the users they don't want to hear from, and just get on with things.

BTW, most other gaming sites (like IGN) are much much worse than this, the users can't type, spell, or form complete sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
There is an easy solution, just get rid of the Games forum. If the kid's can't play nice with their toys you take them away.
Apparently you many of you don't think there should be a gaming section on this site. So, why are you reading it?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:33 PM   #14
Vidd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Depending on the forum, the process posts being deleted does not always detract them from the postcount but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Anyway, relevant to the discussion, I generally feel as if it's best to leave it to the admins and mods to decide this sort of stuff as it's those people who have to deal with actually moderating the forum.
Vidd is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:38 PM   #15
Sky Blue

yeah, it's silly... You can make a post about a current gen console without it being sucked in there. There is a little repetition in some threads, but they could be merged. People post threads, then they're sucked into Console Wars, then some one else comes along and makes another one...
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:40 PM   #16
yellow

Quote:
Do a search for posts by username and get back with me.
???

If his posts were deleted, then he wouldn't have 6,899 total posts.

Go to my link and click on "Find all posts by MacRumorUser"

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=5663316

And finally.. perhaps you're searching incorrectly. Because I came back with quite a few when I did the search the hard way.

So go ahead and get back with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
Depending on the forum, the process posts being deleted does not always detract them from the postcount but I'm not sure if that's the case here.
It's not. As I found the the link to his user by searching the forums for his posts, and then clicking on his avatar's icon.

For example:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294894
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296053
yellow is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:44 PM   #17
Sky Blue

His posts weren't deleted..he's still here, he posted yesterday.
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:49 PM   #18
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
???

If his posts were deleted, then he wouldn't have 6,899 total posts.

Go to my link and click on "Find all posts by MacRumorUser"

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=5663316

And finally.. perhaps you're searching incorrectly. Because I came back with quite a few when I did the search the hard way.

So go ahead and get back with me.

It's not. As I found the the link to his user by searching the forums for his posts, and then clicking on his avatar's icon.

For example:

Must be something goofy, but when I follow your link (and if I do a search forum by username) I get no posts found. When I followed a link to a thread he posted in, though, I was able to do a search by clicking on his name and selecting find more posts and that worked.

I stand corrected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	72297  
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:54 PM   #19
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

Quote:
All the more reason to let the users ignore what they don't want to read, block the users they don't want to hear from, and just get on with things.

BTW, most other gaming sites (like IGN) are much much worse than this, the users can't type, spell, or form complete sentences.
Thanks a lot for stealing the points I was going to make in my post! Like it or not, there will always be "fanboys" so it's up to the others to just ignore posts which seem like flamebait.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:55 PM   #20
yellow

Quote:
Must be something goofy, but when I follow your link (and if I do a search forum by username) I get no posts found.
Weird. You're using the "Advanced Search" feature, right?

Wait.. a Windows user!! Spy! Spy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AdvancedSearch.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	72298  
yellow is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:57 PM   #21
SpankyPenzaanz
macrumors 6502a

I am waiting fr the irony of this thread being absorbed into the console war thread
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:00 PM   #22
echeck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If it really bothers some mod, why not create a sub-forum for "console war" discussion, like they did with the politics forum over in the general discussion area? Then they can keep moving the threads, but over to a new location where at least the talk can be continued and not hampered by lumping it into a 1500 post long mess?
I think this is a great idea.

Dumping every new thread in to the "Console Wars" thread is ridiculous. It makes it impossible to follow. The threads might as well be deleted instead.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:03 PM   #23
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
Weird. You're using the "Advanced Search" feature, right?

Wait.. a Windows user!! Spy! Spy!
Yup, going through the advanced search and I know I'm typing the name in correct because it autocomplete's it for me based on the user database. I'm at work, so stuck on the Windows machine for another 3 or so hours.

I think the fact that there's enough unsettlement about the issue that there are people complaining and defending both sides is indication that there is a need for change and the status quo is not acceptable.

I maintain that a Console Gaming, or "Console Wars" (stupid term, I think) sub-forum is in order. It's a good compromise that should make everyone happy - people who don't want to read about the current gen consoles can just stay out, and people who do won't have to wade through 1300 posts.

Worked well in the off-topic/politics forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgEEk View Post
I think this is a great idea.

Dumping every new thread in to the "Console Wars" thread is ridiculous. It makes it impossible to follow. The threads might as well be deleted instead.
It's not a new idea, but hey, thanks for saying it's a good one. I'll even volunteer to moderate the sub forum so it won't add any work for existing mods, other than the work they are already doing in moving threads there.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:03 PM   #24
Vidd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

For example:

I didn't mean forum as in "Games" or "Buying Tips" - is that what you thought I meant?
I meant as in a per site basis e.g. Macrumors, IGN or possibly forum engine (e.g. phpBB or Invision).
I was just throwing that idea out there.
Vidd is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:05 PM   #25
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000

Because Macs aren't a particularly ripe gaming platform, Mac users are often console owners. It makes sense they use this forum.

And that is the common thing with most of the posters here, they are Mac Users.

Which is one of the reasons I prefer a forum like this over to IGN, etc. It's a community of Mac users, and this is where a good number of them talk about games in general.

Heck, if we didn't talk about forums, what would we have to talk about? This forum would be a ghost town if it was purely restricted to Mac Games, heh.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games