Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey , I used to have this programme for mac (it was a free trial) and you could record the audio. (for example play the dvd, and record the credits for a specific song. (until the Soundtrack came out - The Ring I was getting at the time).

I can't remember the name of the programme. Does anybody know where i can get this, to take quotes from a dvd for example?

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Hey , I used to have this programme for mac (it was a free trial) and you could record the audio. (for example play the dvd, and record the credits for a specific song. (until the Soundtrack came out - The Ring I was getting at the time).

I can't remember the name of the programme. Does anybody know where i can get this, to take quotes from a dvd for example?

You can extract audio from video in iMovie.

Frohike

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
ummm i'm pretty sure you can, go to advanced in the tool bar at the top whilst your video is selected and click extract audio simple as that!

Frohike

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
And you can also use a programme such as audacity to record the sounds that your computer is making as a direct source. You have to make sure that MSN and stuff is off cos it'll record that too.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
iMovie did the job. I also believe Audacity was the programme i was speaking of ; i was unaware iMovie allowed me to extract audio from clips.

Thanks to all who answered :)

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
I'm a bit confused on this and hopefully someone can clarify because I would like to do something similar.

I have the Incubus: Alive at Red Rocks dvd and I love listening to it. I'd like to get it played only as audio, so I could listen to it as i'm driving. Is this something possible with iMovie? and if so, how so?

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
I'm a bit confused on this and hopefully someone can clarify because I would like to do something similar.

I have the Incubus: Alive at Red Rocks dvd and I love listening to it. I'd like to get it played only as audio, so I could listen to it as i'm driving. Is this something possible with iMovie? and if so, how so?

From http://www.ripdifferent.com forums:

With MTR (MacTheRipper) 2.6.6:

Change MTR to Title Only (if you want the entire title to be a single audio file) or Title - Chapter (if you want one chapter per audio file), select the "D" button, then hit the "Streams" button. In the stream selection drawer, select only the AC3 track you want (or PCM if that's all there is). Then, extract the title or chapters you want. In the current version of MTR, you'll need to extract one chapter at a time if you want them to be separate, but in version 3.0, there is a MUCH better interface for chapter selection.

With MTR 3.0:

Rip the DVD with MTR 3.0 in Title - Chapter mode, with 'demux streams' enabled, only audio tracks enabled (ac3, dts, and pcm, not m2v or subtitles), and 'merge chapters' disabled. This will output the audio from the selected chapters of the DVD, typically as AC3 files.

Once you have the AC3 or PCM files extracted, you'll need to convert them to a usable format. For AC3, get the freeware app mAC3Dec to convert them to MP3 or AAC. For PCM, get PCM2AIFF, or AIFF from PCM and convert them to AIFF format, which you can import into iTunes and convert to MP3.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3966

This method worked for me when I wanted just the audio from the Blueman Complex Rock tour DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.