Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Ima!
macrumors newbie

Disk Utility options grayed out, y? - desperate to play f.e.a.r!

Yo,

I had to start a new account because I forgot my password on my prevoius account =P.

Anyways, recently windows started cause trouble and now everytime I bootup in windows it'll show the BSoD (blue sceen of death) and say 'unmountable boot volume'. I did some reserch and found this page* and it had a step-by-step process to 'combat' this problem. But the " Security Option " tab is greyed out in disk Utility so I cant erase the partion and reinstall. Is there anyway to un-gray it out? Heres a picture i took surrouding the black area.

*http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...um=303572#faq0
scroll down untill u see this heading >>>While installing Windows XP, this message appears: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".<<<

Specs - Stock MacBook Pro 2ghz duo core.
Ima! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:01 AM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

If it's greyed out then you are probably pretty unlikely to manage to un-grey it. It is greyed out on my system.

It seems as if you are wanting to wipe the volume clean. You may be able to do this via terminal however I am only just learning Terminal and feel that it would be extremely dangerous for me to suggest any specific commands (could destroy your OS X parition etc.) I may have suggested the commands if i could've tried them out on my system but i really don't want to have to reinstall XP.

That said, could you just use the boot camp assistant to return it to a single volume and then use it again to split it in two.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store