Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:40 AM   #1
fairnymph
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to fairnymph
2.66 vs 3.0 ghz quad core mac pros

Is it 'worth' the extra $700 (or so, I will be getting this comp via ADC student discount and shipped to NH so no tax) to get the 3.0 chips?

My current computer is an 8 year old 400 mhz G4. I would like to do video editing and photoshop on the new comp (neither of which are possible on my current steup, as I'm sure you can imagine).

I'm pretty set on the 3.0 ghz and planning to start the purchase process next week, but I want to check and make sure it isn't a total waste of money. The 3.0 system as I want to configure it will be $2860 with discount, including every last little fee, but not including the extra RAM I'll be buying elsewhere.
fairnymph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:43 AM   #2
dartzorichalcos
Banned

Get the 2.66Ghz with more ram. There is not that much difference between 2.66Ghz and 3.0Ghz.
dartzorichalcos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:45 AM   #3
fairnymph
macrumors 6502

So the difference in speed/performance is not very significant?

When you say more RAM, do you mean more than 2 gigs (what I plan on getting).
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
dartzorichalcos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairnymph View Post
When you say more RAM, do you mean more than 2 gigs (what I plan on getting).
At least 2GB but recommend 4GB. 3.0Ghz 4GB Mac Pro will be more expensive than 2.66Ghz 4GB Mac Pro ($3198 for 4GB 2.66Ghz Mac Pro while $3997 for 4GB 3.0Ghz Mac Pro). Check this benchmark too.
dartzorichalcos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

well, for the most part, I think that the 3 Ghz is not a good value compared to the 2.66. But if you're going to keep this computer even half as long as you kept the G4, then I say go for the best. When you only upgrade once every 8 years you can afford to spend a little more and get the best, rather than the best value. Over 8 years of use, the difference is about a quarter a day.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
fairnymph
macrumors 6502

4 GB -- really? That benchmark makes me nervous, bc yes, while I see there is not a huge difference in most areas between 2.66 and 3.0, it is pretty significant for photoshop, which I plan on using heavily.

I am also as QCassidy mentions inclined to go with the best since I buy so rarely and this ADC student discount option + NH residence will not likely be available to me again anytime soon.

The only mac I didn't keep for at least 3 years was my ibook which was stolen.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Keebler
macrumors 68030

i'm about to do the same, but i'm just getting the 2.66. crazy that i said 'just getting' - that machine will rock and the money saved is 4GB of RAM's worth

not even an issue
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
i'm about to do the same, but i'm just getting the 2.66. crazy that i said 'just getting' - that machine will rock and the money saved is 4GB of RAM's worth

not even an issue
Finally taking the plunge eh!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9
xfiftyfour
macrumors 68030

I'd be inclined to suggest going with the 2.66 MP and upping the RAM instead, too. I think you'll see a much bigger performance jump with 4 gb of RAM than you would with the 3.0 processor. Also remember that the benchmark was with CS2, and that with CS3, both systems will be significantly faster in Photoshop since it's a UB.

But, as others have pointed out, if you upgrade so infrequently, then why not buy the best instead of the best value. I guess it's also important to note that upgrading the RAM in the future will be a lot easier than upgrading the processor... so considering those two things, go for the 3.0. Both machines will be a HUGE boost, needless to say!
xfiftyfour is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice