Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveMyMBP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
New York
Just announced during the half time of the Pittsburg vs. Ottawa Hockey Game that the games will (hopefully) be in Chicago!!! I think that's really exciting. I live in Milwaukee so hopefully that will bring lots of people here seeing is how Chicago is less an hour and half drive!!:D :D

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Congrats to Chicago, good luck in the next round of the selection process...I was already mapping out how I was going to avoid the traffic jams if it was in LA in 2016.

iLoveMyMBP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
New York
Congrats to Chicago, good luck in the next round of the selection process...I was already mapping out how I was going to avoid the traffic jams if it was in LA in 2016.

yeh they said LA had it twice already and Chicago is willing to build all new complexes...i can't wait to see the delelopment of this!!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sorry. i can't imagine the utter chaos that will ensue having them here. seriously.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles had it in 1932 and again in 1984...I seriously don't think we should have been given a chance to bid again until the mid 2030's...it's just fair that it gets spread around.

Looking at the other possible bids, it looks like the honor of hosting would likely go to South Africa if they can pull off the 2010 World Cup successfully. If they can't, I'd bet India is next in line, then maybe a South American bid.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I want chicago to get it ... but I don't like the idea of crazy flight prices that summer if I'm still not in the area.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Chicago should be the place to have the Olympics. I have been waiting to see the pole vault since 1996 and have not been able to go. If it is at Chicago that is less than an hours drive so that would be incredible.

holamiamigos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2006
dang... sf bay area would've been the best but the freakin 49ers and their stadium issues... well good for chicago anyway

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't most cities that host an olympic games end up going bankrupt in some form.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Now a days security costs alone are enough to eat up a whole budget.

oh i agree.
there are many, many reasons i don't want it here..
i can't imagine what'd do to our economy and taxes here for one. and i just don't want the influx of people to deal with either.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Looking at the other possible bids, it looks like the honor of hosting would likely go to South Africa if they can pull off the 2010 World Cup successfully. If they can't, I'd bet India is next in line, then maybe a South American bid.

I don't think they can wait until 2010 to award the 2016 olympics. India (I'm guessing Mumbai would be most probable) has a fair shot if China does a good job with the Beijing games. The only problem with South America is that there has never been a summer olympics there before.

That said, with Beijing getting the 2008 games and London getting the 2012 games, The americas appear to be a front runner.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't think they can wait until 2010 to award the 2016 olympics. India (I'm guessing Mumbai would be most probable) has a fair shot if China does a good job with the Beijing games. The only problem with South America is that there has never been a summer olympics there before.

That said, with Beijing getting the 2008 games and London getting the 2012 games, The americas appear to be a front runner.

I think if South Africa bids and looks like it is on target to hold a successful World Cup, they will likely give it to them in 2009. If things totally fall apart at the World Cup in 2010, they may reevaluate and reassign it.

There have never been a games in South America or Africa, so I'm sure there is a urge to give them a Games as soon as they think it will be successful...that's what drove the decision to mandate a World Cup on African soil, and the same forces are at work in the IOC.

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada

Keep in mind that Canada is getting the 2010 winter games. So it isn't like they need to rush back to "the americas" in 6 years. I realize that some people don't place as much prestige on the winter games but none-the-less something to keep in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.