Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olmankensey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I am a brand new mac owner...yahoo! I have been lurking on this site for some time. I pretty much have my new imac all configured, but ran into an issue and I need some help.

I decided to purchase an external hard drive while I still had my windows xp machine. The idea was to use it as a backup and then when I got my mac I could just load all the files I wanted to transfer. I made sure to buy an external that could work on a mac or a pc.

Here's the trouble. I was able to move all my data to my mac. Now, when I try to delete the data from the external harddrive, it says I am not authorized. I am an administrator on the imac.

I ran it by some network guys at work and they said that it's likely that the hard drive needs to be reformatted for a mac. How do I do that? I don't care about the data anymore, it's all safely on the mac. I do, however, want to use the external HD in the future for backups to data on my mac, but the mac won't let me write to it.

Anyone have any ideas?

So far so good. I've had the imac for three days with no problems. It has been a joy to work with. Can't believe how easy it is!

Thanks!
Olmankensey

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Try 1 of 2 things:

1. Plug in your ext HD and and turn it on. It should appear on the desktop like it always has. Then double click on Macintosh HD, then double click on Applications, and then double click on Disk Utility. On the left hand side of the Disk Utility window is a sidebar and your ext HD should appear in there. It will probably have either an orange or white drive looking icon. Click on that ONCE and then click on the Erase Tab. Make sure the partition type is Mac OS Extended (journaled) aka HFS+ (Journaled). Click on erase. That should erase and format the ext HD for use on your new Mac.

If that doesn't work or it fails for whatever reason, do this:

2. Find your iMac restore DVD that came with your iMac. Stick it in the drive. Make sure your ext HD is plugged in and turned on. Restart your iMac and then after you hear the Mac chime (BONG!) press and HOLD the c key. This will tell the iMac too boot from the restore DVD instead of the hard drive. It will take a second to boot from the DVD. It will come to a language selection screen. Select the appropriate language and then click the --> in the bottom right. After the next screen appears click in the Utilities Menu and select Disk Utility. Then back on the sidebar of the Disk Utility window you should see your external HD with either the white or orange icon. DO NOT TOUCH THE OTHER HD ICONS!!!! Click on your external HD icon and then click on the erase tab. Make sure the format is Mac OS Extended (journaled) and then click on Erase. BEFORE YOU CLICK ERASE...Make absolutely sure you have the correct drive selected. If you accidentially have the internal HD selected and then click on erase it will erase all of your data.

Let us know if you have any issues.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-olmankensey

There's another option as well. Please be aware I am giving you this information with a significant amount of trepidation as you could do great damage.

You may be an 'Administrator' but you are not a 'Superuser'. If you were, you'd never be questioned.

To do this you need to enable the 'Root' account, and Apple goes to great lengths to make it difficult to find.

1. Launch NetInfoManager
2. 'Security' Menu - Authenticate (prompt for your administrator password)
3. 'Enable Root User' in same menu
4. Set Root User Password.
5. Quit and Logout of all open user acounts
6. In the user accounts window that pops, enter 'root' as the user, and the password you just set.
7. Try you methods again - perhaps with Disk Utility, zero all data?

*. I use Root often, but have created a special desktop with the word 'ROOT' on it as a reminder to keep from doing something stupid.
**. Try not to install software while in the Root account.

***. BE VERY CAREFUL

olmankensey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
It worked!

Thank you so much. Option one worked like a charm. Man, I love working on this thing!

Olmankensey

varbhalla

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
SAMSUNG external Monitor to Macbook Pro

Hi,

I'm a new mac user. I have an external Samsung monitor 21 inches (2 months old) that I used for my windows xp laptop prior to buying a mac. I plugged my monitor cable into the DVI to VGA adaptor(came with the macbook pro) restarted and pressed ctrl F7. I didnt get any signal. Do I need a different cable??? Or need to do something else.

Thanks

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Hi,

I'm a new mac user. I have an external Samsung monitor 21 inches (2 months old) that I used for my windows xp laptop prior to buying a mac. I plugged my monitor cable into the DVI to VGA adaptor(came with the macbook pro) restarted and pressed ctrl F7. I didnt get any signal. Do I need a different cable??? Or need to do something else.

Thanks

-varbhalla

What you've done should work like a charm. Silly question: Was the monitor on or in standby when you started the machine? Also, have you tried plugging it in and just starting it up normally?

I'd suggest backing out of this thread and starting your own at a higher level to get the readership you deserve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.