Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Im interested in recording some drums to my MBP using either Garage band or preferably Logic Pro. But what's the best way of Doing this?

I was thinking of running all the mikes to the PA and then running that into maybe a preamp and then to my MBP. Am I being retarded or would this work well? I know it would only be one track for the whole drum part, so any advice would be appreciated!

-Mike:apple:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
it's a big topic, but do yourself a favor and record separate tracks. forgot the PA, too, get some halfway decent pre's / converters.

you need to state a budget and how many mics you're going to use.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Im interested in recording some drums to my MBP using either Garage band or preferably Logic Pro. But what's the best way of Doing this?

I was thinking of running all the mikes to the PA and then running that into maybe a preamp and then to my MBP. Am I being retarded or would this work well? I know it would only be one track for the whole drum part, so any advice would be appreciated!

-Mike:apple:

The simplest way would be to have the mics going into the desk (there is a desk?) which is connected to the pa. You could just route a stereo mix out of the desk into the line in on your mbp. Im not sure what the quality would be like though - ideally i think you would want some sort of external usb or firewire soundcard to get the audio into your mbp. I have a presonus firebox and it works great.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
it's a big topic, but do yourself a favor and record separate tracks. forgot the PA, too, get some halfway decent pre's / converters.

you need to state a budget and how many mics you're going to use.

that then requires a multi-input external soundcard, which is not cheap. Sounds like he wants to do it on a budget.

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
that then requires a multi-input external soundcard, which is not cheap. Sounds like he wants to do it on a budget.

Yeah, a really strickt budget. Mainly I wanted to try and use what I have and buy a halfway decent Preamp. This isn't a professional production and I don't know much about recording drums.

Thanks alot for helping me out though.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I was using exactly the setup I'm goind to describe a few hours ago for recording drums.... while also recording bass, two guitars, vocals and keys... at the same time. You should find it pretty easy, it's very flexible.

Get yourself one of these:

p31552h-1160d373e06860ccca2c6d6630293a77.jpg

Quality wise, it seems better than most budget desks, but what makes it pretty cool is that it has Firewire connections. You simply hook a single cable between your MacBook Pro and the mixer (as I do), and each channel on the mixing desk appears as a separate input in Logic.

DON'T record all the drums as one single track! It'll sound appalling whatever you do!

Also, if you can afford them, get this drum mic kit. You get a kick mic, and four clip-on mics, one for snare, three for toms. Then get these as 'overheads' and two mic stands to go with them. Basically, you place them over the top of the drum kit like this:

drumkit2.jpg

Check this site for mic placement:

Websitey linkey thingy

=]

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Here's Steve Albini's tips on recording drums:

Favourite microphones:
Bass drum front: AKG D112, EV RE20, Beyer M380.
Bass drum back: small condenser or dynamic mic, often Shure SM98.
Snare top: Altec 175, Sony C37p.
Snare bottom (occasionally): Shure SM98, Altec 165/175.
Toms: Josephson E22.
Cymbals: Neumann SM2, AKG C24.
Overheads: Coles STC4038, Beyer 160, Royer 122.
Ambient: small-diaphragm condensers like Altec 150, Neumann 582.

"I have miked drums in quite a few different ways. Sometimes I'll just have an overhead microphone and a bass drum microphone. Normally there are close mics on all the drums, as well as ambient microphones, and a stereo microphone in front of the drum kit for cymbals. It's hard to describe where I place them and it varies a lot. If the drummer plays very lightly, then there's a lot of attack and not a lot of tone, and I want the microphone to look at the contact point of the snare drum. If the drummer is playing very hard and he's exciting the whole drum, I usually have to back the microphone off a little bit so that it's not overloading. For the ambient mics I'll walk around the room and see where it sounds good, and I usually have them on the floor to take advantage of the boundary effect, and to minimise early reflections.
"I'll occasionally compress the front bass-drum microphone while recording, in the same way as the bass guitar, at a low ratio of a couple of dBs. The snare drum tends to overwhelm the overhead microphones, so I'll have a very fast-acting peak limiter on the overhead to keep the snare drum from doing that. I don't normally compress the room but I'll sometimes delay the ambient microphones by a few milliseconds and that has the effect of getting rid of some of the slight phasing that you hear when you have microphones at a distance and up close. If you move them a little bit further away then they move out of what's called the Hass effect area, and when you move them far enough away they start sounding like acoustic reflections, which is what they are."

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
I was using exactly the setup I'm goind to describe a few hours ago for recording drums.... while also recording bass, two guitars, vocals and keys... at the same time. You should find it pretty easy, it's very flexible.
=]

Thanks dude. that pretty much fits what I was looking for. easy and cheap. I already have (borrowing) drum mic's. And I know it's a bad to do a single track for drums, but I wasn't sure what my budget options really were. thanks guys.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Not sure if I agree that recording drums as one channel is necessarily going to sound horrible. A pair of decent overheads recorded as a stereo track can sound pretty good imo. Depends on the room and the kind of drum sound you are going for of course.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Not sure if I agree that recording drums as one channel is necessarily going to sound horrible.

it's not that it might sound horrible -- it might sound great. but you're really hamstringing yourself at mixtime. "gee, i'd like to make the toms louder there -- oops, i can't!" or "that snare needs more reverb -- oh crap, can't do it".

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
it's not that it might sound horrible -- it might sound great. but you're really hamstringing yourself at mixtime. "gee, i'd like to make the toms louder there -- oops, i can't!" or "that snare needs more reverb -- oh crap, can't do it".

true but many great recordings have been done in this way in the past. Lots of jazz drums are still recorded just with a stereo pair.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
true but many great recordings have been done in this way in the past. Lots of jazz drums are still recorded just with a stereo pair.

yep. heck, not too long ago i recorded a jazz quartet with 3 mics.

BUT, such setups have their place. most typically, we tracks drums with at least 4 mics, if not more. and in this case, i don't see the OP asking how to arrange all the acoustic musicians around a single mic to go for that '30s live-to-broadcast radio sound...

buswheel

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The main thing with miking a kit is to get the space you want. If you are making a stereo recording I would suggest 4 channels is the minimum

1 - Kick
2 - Snare
3/4 - Overheads

If you have the money I would then also then go for the hi-hat, then start micing up the toms - but only do this if you can mic all of them.

If you are mono recording however you may be able to get away with 3 by removing one of the overheads - but this will depend on how your drummer plays, if like most drummers they like to spread out you may still want to go with the two overheads.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
yep. heck, not too long ago i recorded a jazz quartet with 3 mics.

BUT, such setups have their place. most typically, we tracks drums with at least 4 mics, if not more. and in this case, i don't see the OP asking how to arrange all the acoustic musicians around a single mic to go for that '30s live-to-broadcast radio sound...

agreed :D

imacgeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Lots of Help but...

Hey guys I read through the posts and I am having a similar problem. I have a full set of drum mics (many of the ones said above) and a PreSonus Fire Studio Project to record with.

Is there a way for me to use this stuff to record my drums on more than one track. I have been doing it on one track for a while now and its nearly impossible to change timing or add anything to my individual tracks.

beyonce50

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
would logic pro work for recording drums??? and if so how??

well killyp said soemthing about a single cable but never said the name of the cable to use for the mixer to the computer....and i killyp also said that logic would seperate the drum mics....just wanted to see if it was true.....anybodys help please

beyonce50

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
explain how to record drums in logic pro please

Quality wise, it seems better than most budget desks, but what makes it pretty cool is that it has Firewire connections. You simply hook a single cable between your MacBook Pro and the mixer (as I do), and each channel on the mixing desk appears as a separate input in Logic.

DON'T record all the drums as one single track! It'll sound appalling whatever you do!

=][/QUOTE] what is the cord for that mixer to plug in to the computer and how does logic recognize the mixer???

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
well killyp said soemthing about a single cable but never said the name of the cable to use for the mixer to the computer....and i killyp also said that logic would seperate the drum mics....just wanted to see if it was true.....anybodys help please

The mixer he is talking about is a firewire mixer.So it sends the information to logic as separate audio input. This won't work on a mixer that doesnt have firewire out.

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Hey guys I read through the posts and I am having a similar problem. I have a full set of drum mics (many of the ones said above) and a PreSonus Fire Studio Project to record with.

Is there a way for me to use this stuff to record my drums on more than one track. I have been doing it on one track for a while now and its nearly impossible to change timing or add anything to my individual tracks.

How do you have this stuff and not know how to use it?>

I don't understand how you would be recording Drums to one track by default if you are using multiple mics.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Im going to say that even if you do as some people have said, it will all sound like crap if you dont find some sort of treated drum cage/room.

jamesdrummer

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
recording drums with apple mac book and usb mixer

hey guys. im new to this forum as of now..
i bought an alesis multimix 8 channel usb interface mixer today. and in 2 weeks ill be getting my 13" mac book pro..

can some1 give me a step by step broken down way to record my drums into garage band so i can mix and make proper drum videos ? :)
please help me out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.