Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1
stevetannen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
That New Octo SMELL

Hey All,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I got my new 3.0 Mac Pro Octo via fed ex this weekend. It's blisteringly fast, I've taken it through its paces and am thoroughly pleased. EXCEPT...it stinks to high heaven. It's a plastic-burning type smell, seems almost toxic, the smell coming out the back fan. I have to shut it down and leave the room every few hours to air it out, it's that bad. I've heard about the "new mac smell" and had a tiny taste of it with a new macbook last summer, but this is different - it's intense, nauseating, and makes you feel funny. Friends and neighbors have agreed: this can't be good.

Anyone else had this experience? Does this smell last? Do I bother calling Apple? Do I put it in the garage and run extra long monitor cables in? (If so, do those exist?)

Any ideas, suggestions, snide flames at my ignorance, all are appreciated. I've been trawling the net and can't come up with much. Thank you!
Steve Tannen
stevetannen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
call apple. that's not normal; something needs to be fixed or replaced!
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:59 PM   #3
piltupso
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I got a new 2.66 Mac Pro back in August and use it in a small room and never noticed any smell even right out of the box.
piltupso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:04 PM   #4
AlBDamned
macrumors 68030
 
AlBDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetannen View Post
Hey All,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I got my new 3.0 Mac Pro Octo via fed ex this weekend. It's blisteringly fast, I've taken it through its paces and am thoroughly pleased. EXCEPT...it stinks to high heaven. It's a plastic-burning type smell, seems almost toxic, the smell coming out the back fan. I have to shut it down and leave the room every few hours to air it out, it's that bad. I've heard about the "new mac smell" and had a tiny taste of it with a new macbook last summer, but this is different - it's intense, nauseating, and makes you feel funny. Friends and neighbors have agreed: this can't be good.

Anyone else had this experience? Does this smell last? Do I bother calling Apple? Do I put it in the garage and run extra long monitor cables in? (If so, do those exist?)

Any ideas, suggestions, snide flames at my ignorance, all are appreciated. I've been trawling the net and can't come up with much. Thank you!
Steve Tannen
I know this sounds stupid, but have you checked inside it to make sure you removed all the plastic protection film and sheets?

When I got my G5 a long time ago it was covered in the stuff, inside and out, on the bay doors, everywhere.

Otherwise, I'd check inside it thoroughly. it could just be a little bit of something from the packaging that's got lodged somewhere.

Hope you can get it sorted.
AlBDamned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:12 PM   #5
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBDamned View Post
I know this sounds stupid, but have you checked inside it to make sure you removed all the plastic protection film and sheets?

When I got my G5 a long time ago it was covered in the stuff, inside and out, on the bay doors, everywhere.

Otherwise, I'd check inside it thoroughly. it could just be a little bit of something from the packaging that's got lodged somewhere.

Hope you can get it sorted.
was gonna say the same thing. please check this before calling apple
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Celeron
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Odd, I read the exact same issue on this forum from several months ago. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. I think the guy in that thread had the power supply replaced which ultimately stopped the smell.

Edit: Found it, it was at the Apple support forums, not these ones. See here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=4057680

User describes the EXACT same symptoms. Apple replaced his power supply.

Last edited by Celeron; Apr 18, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Celeron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:26 PM   #7
stevetannen
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
was gonna say the same thing. please check this before calling apple
Yes, I looked inside. Nothing obvious. I'm amazed to hear a computer maker would wrap parts inside with plastic, that seems...problematic. A bit like plastic wrapping the car engine parts under the hood.

I have searched "mac smell" in these forums, but I mostly come up with complaints about co-workers body odor.

Thanks for your help everyone - to Apple's phone lines I go, armed only with a powerful smell.

stevetannen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:30 PM   #8
stevetannen
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeron View Post
Odd, I read the exact same issue on this forum from several months ago. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. I think the guy in that thread had the power supply replaced which ultimately stopped the smell.

Edit: Found it, it was at the Apple support forums, not these ones. See here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=4057680

User describes the EXACT same symptoms. Apple replaced his power supply.

AWESOME. Thank you. Great to hear someone else had something like this, and it gives me a thread to pursue. You rock, thank you.

Steve
stevetannen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:22 PM   #9
AlBDamned
macrumors 68030
 
AlBDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetannen View Post
AWESOME. Thank you. Great to hear someone else had something like this, and it gives me a thread to pursue. You rock, thank you.

Steve
Would be great if it was just the power supply as that's a pretty easy fix.
AlBDamned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:50 AM   #10
Jiddick ExRex
macrumors 65816
 
Jiddick ExRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Roskilde, DK
Have you repaired permissions?

Also try reset PRAM.

__________________
The owner of a perfect SR MBP 2.2 Matte!
Jiddick ExRex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:15 AM   #11
disconap
macrumors 68000
 
disconap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
It sounds like something is a bit off in the cooling. I don't really know the physical architecture of the new line, but I would definitely call Apple immediately. At very least, they can tell you what to do.
__________________
Mac Mini 4x2gHz i7/16gb/240gb R0 OCZ Vertex450/10.9.2
Mac Mini 2x2.5 gHz i5/8gb/120gb OCZ Vertex4/10.9.2/server
Macbook Pro retina 2x2.4gHz i5/8gb/256gb/10.9.2
disconap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:03 AM   #12
PhotoGraphic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeron View Post
Odd, I read the exact same issue on this forum from several months ago. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. I think the guy in that thread had the power supply replaced which ultimately stopped the smell.

Edit: Found it, it was at the Apple support forums, not these ones. See here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=4057680

User describes the EXACT same symptoms. Apple replaced his power supply.
I contributed to that particular discussion thread yesterday. A few hours later my posting was removed (together with a good few others, including postings by stevetannen who started this thread here). On top of that, Apple locked the topic for further discussion! The most recent posting in the thread now dates from the 11th of March which means the topic has disappeared from it's top position in the list of discussions.

It is most likely that the content of my posting triggered this attempt at censorship, perhaps I hit a sensitive spot. I am therefore quoting myself here (from memory, therefore not verbatim):

"I have had my Mac Pro (2x 2GHz) for nearly two weeks and the smell is constant, meaning it is getting neither better nor worse over time. Luckily the weather has been mild here in Ireland over the last weeks so I can work with the windows open, I could not bear it otherwise.

According to this thread the power supply seems to be the problem. Before I will approach Apple to have it replaced I will check out how much it costs to have the air in my workspace analysed. If it does not break the bank I will do that. And if it turns out that the smell contains carcinogenic substances, then replacing the power supply will be the least of Apple's worries."


The fact that Apple does not like the discussion to go down this road and wants to suppress it makes me even more worried.
PhotoGraphic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:05 AM   #13
xJulianx
macrumors 6502a
 
xJulianx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
I thought my MacBook smelt like pineapple when I got it out of the box.
xJulianx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:35 AM   #14
jimN
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to jimN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGraphic View Post
I contributed to that particular discussion thread yesterday. A few hours later my posting was removed (together with a good few others, including postings by stevetannen who started this thread here). On top of that, Apple locked the topic for further discussion! The most recent posting in the thread now dates from the 11th of March which means the topic has disappeared from it's top position in the list of discussions.

It is most likely that the content of my posting triggered this attempt at censorship, perhaps I hit a sensitive spot. I am therefore quoting myself here (from memory, therefore not verbatim):

"I have had my Mac Pro (2x 2GHz) for nearly two weeks and the smell is constant, meaning it is getting neither better nor worse over time. Luckily the weather has been mild here in Ireland over the last weeks so I can work with the windows open, I could not bear it otherwise.

According to this thread the power supply seems to be the problem. Before I will approach Apple to have it replaced I will check out how much it costs to have the air in my workspace analysed. If it does not break the bank I will do that. And if it turns out that the smell contains carcinogenic substances, then replacing the power supply will be the least of Apple's worries."


The fact that Apple does not like the discussion to go down this road and wants to suppress it makes me even more worried.
Can you honestly blame them for removing an accusatory posting. Had you found out that there were no carcinogens would you have apologised for the slander - legal actions work both ways after all. It seems all that you managed to do was stop the OP from getting help that he wanted.
__________________
Apple stuff, Nikon camera
jimN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:46 AM   #15
PhotoGraphic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN View Post
Can you honestly blame them for removing an accusatory posting. Had you found out that there were no carcinogens would you have apologised for the slander - legal actions work both ways after all.
Please point out to me where I am slandering anybody. Thank you.
PhotoGraphic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:46 AM   #16
yagran
macrumors 6502a
 
yagran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brighton, East Sussex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN View Post
Can you honestly blame them for removing an accusatory posting. Had you found out that there were no carcinogens would you have apologised for the slander - legal actions work both ways after all. It seems all that you managed to do was stop the OP from getting help that he wanted.
i agree with you there jimN, but i do feel sorry for you PhotoGraphic and i understand your annoyed that you mac stinks out the place, but slander is not the way forward if your seriously looking to persue legal action :P
__________________
Macbook Air 11.6" - iPhone 4S - iPad 2 - Apple TV 2
yagran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:49 AM   #17
yagran
macrumors 6502a
 
yagran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brighton, East Sussex, UK
you are suggesting that apple may be giving you cancer, with out this being a fact it is slanderous as it may damage their reputation without legitimate reason...

remember that if you did take up legal action and were found to be incorrect. expect a counter claim for damages
__________________
Macbook Air 11.6" - iPhone 4S - iPad 2 - Apple TV 2
yagran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:54 AM   #18
FireArse
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Send a message via MSN to FireArse
Fumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagran View Post
you are suggesting that apple may be giving you cancer, with out this being a fact it is slanderous as it may damage their reputation without legitimate reason...

remember that if you did take up legal action and were found to be incorrect. expect a counter claim for damages
Yagran has a point about damage to reputation without legitimate reason.

However - I've worked with heavy duty PSU's in consumer electronics (52-port 3Com switches) and I saw a lot of them go in all sorts of ways. It was my job as a Reliabililty Engineer to make them fail. None had me worried about the fumes given off.

F
__________________
Mac Pro 1,1 2.66GHz 13GB RAM flashed 1024MB ATI4870
2012 Mac Book Air 13"
23" Cinema Display
16GB iPhone 4GS
FireArse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:22 AM   #19
PhotoGraphic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagran View Post
you are suggesting that apple may be giving you cancer, with out this being a fact it is slanderous as it may damage their reputation without legitimate reason...

remember that if you did take up legal action and were found to be incorrect. expect a counter claim for damages
I wish you would read my posting carefully before replying. I said that I want to have the air in my workspace analysed (if affordable). I said that Apple will have worries if the smell contains carcinogenic substances.

I have not suggested anywhere that Apple may be giving me cancer.

Again: please read my posting before replying. Do not reply to something you imagine I have written.
PhotoGraphic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:32 AM   #20
bartelby
macrumors Core
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGraphic View Post
Again: please read my posting before replying. Do not reply to something you imagine I have written.
It's an odd thing to say if you don't actually think it does!

Why would you pay for analysis if you don't think it will come back positive?
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:42 AM   #21
bearbo
macrumors 68000
 
bearbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGraphic View Post
I contributed to that particular discussion thread yesterday. A few hours later my posting was removed (together with a good few others, including postings by stevetannen who started this thread here). On top of that, Apple locked the topic for further discussion! The most recent posting in the thread now dates from the 11th of March which means the topic has disappeared from it's top position in the list of discussions.

It is most likely that the content of my posting triggered this attempt at censorship, perhaps I hit a sensitive spot. I am therefore quoting myself here (from memory, therefore not verbatim):

"I have had my Mac Pro (2x 2GHz) for nearly two weeks and the smell is constant, meaning it is getting neither better nor worse over time. Luckily the weather has been mild here in Ireland over the last weeks so I can work with the windows open, I could not bear it otherwise.

According to this thread the power supply seems to be the problem. Before I will approach Apple to have it replaced I will check out how much it costs to have the air in my workspace analysed. If it does not break the bank I will do that. And if it turns out that the smell contains carcinogenic substances, then replacing the power supply will be the least of Apple's worries."


The fact that Apple does not like the discussion to go down this road and wants to suppress it makes me even more worried.
there are few substances that are not carcinogenic. Table salt is a carcinogen, however at a much higher level of consumption than say, benzene vapor. Because of the fact that in this very un-ideal world, nothing can be burnt completely, therefore it's very likely that there is carcinogenic substances in the resulting vapor that smells like burnt. However the presence of those substances doesn't mean it will be cancer causing.
Also, a substance doesn't have to be carcinogenic to be harmful. Lots of substances can result in damage in health at a low concentration over a period of time long before it can cause cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN View Post
Can you honestly blame them for removing an accusatory posting. Had you found out that there were no carcinogens would you have apologised for the slander - legal actions work both ways after all. It seems all that you managed to do was stop the OP from getting help that he wanted.
But he didn't actually accuse Apple of anything. He merely said he'd like to look into that, would that still be illegal?
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:45 AM   #22
bearbo
macrumors 68000
 
bearbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
It's an odd thing to say if you don't actually think it does!

Why would you pay for analysis if you don't think it will come back positive?
one might suspect it does, but not sure. and more importantly, hoping it'd come back negative.

have you never had any medical exams, and you hope the result of which will come back negative (and mostly believe it'll come back negative) but just want to be sure?

more obviously, have you not seen those pregnancy testers sold in grocery stores that women use to see if they are pregnant (and hoping they arent)
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:48 AM   #23
bartelby
macrumors Core
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbo View Post
one might suspect it does, but not sure. and more importantly, hoping it'd come back negative.

have you never had any medical exams, and you hope the result of which will come back negative (and mostly believe it'll come back negative) but just want to be sure?

more obviously, have you not seen those pregnancy testers sold in grocery stores that women use to see if they are pregnant (and hoping they arent)
I've never suspected anything was wrong and had an exam, no.
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:52 AM   #24
bearbo
macrumors 68000
 
bearbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
I've never suspected anything was wrong and had an exam, no.
so you always knew something was wrong before you had a medical exam?

All workers at chemical plant (or related field) have to take a drug test before they are allowed to work there. This is to ensure that they are not under the influence of any illegal drug. But that doesn't mean that they are all suspected to be on crack.
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:53 AM   #25
yagran
macrumors 6502a
 
yagran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brighton, East Sussex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbo View Post
But he didn't actually accuse Apple of anything. He merely said he'd like to look into that, would that still be illegal?
not specifiacally but slander is more about damaging a reputation. which comments may do, for instance browsing a forum and seeing it may be carcinogenic could lead to a bad rep and consequently loss of sales...
__________________
Macbook Air 11.6" - iPhone 4S - iPad 2 - Apple TV 2
yagran is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning smell from G5 Drich290195 PowerPC Macs 8 Aug 16, 2014 02:13 AM
That new Mac smell.... kalms iMac 17 Apr 17, 2014 06:43 AM
nMP; toasting bakery smell :) Cubemmal Mac Pro 27 Feb 10, 2014 11:03 AM
very hot and burning smell jdc5294 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 May 17, 2013 01:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC