Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 19, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Sharky II
macrumors 6502

Possible to reset bluetooth connection without restarting?

Hi guys

I use Skype a lot, with a Sony Ericson HBH-602 bluetooth headset on my powerbook G4 1.25GHz with built in bluetooth and airport. I also use an isight.

Anyways, sometimes the Skype connection dies and the call terminates. About 60% of the time, the bluetooth icon in OSX doesn't 'free up' and it still thinks there's a connection to the bluetooth headset. The BT icon still has the dotted line through it as if there's a connection even after the call has terminated.

This might be a Skype bug, but it means i can't use the bluetooth headset again and continue the call again until i restart OSX.

Is there any way of doing this without restarting the computer? Sometimes i can talk for 3 hours with no problems, sometimes the call drops after 5 mins, and messes up the bluetooth connection.

Thanks!

Eddie
Sharky II is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:06 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky II View Post
Hi guys

I use Skype a lot, with a Sony Ericson HBH-602 bluetooth headset on my powerbook G4 1.25GHz with built in bluetooth and airport. I also use an isight.

Anyways, sometimes the Skype connection dies and the call terminates. About 60% of the time, the bluetooth icon in OSX doesn't 'free up' and it still thinks there's a connection to the bluetooth headset. The BT icon still has the dotted line through it as if there's a connection even after the call has terminated.

This might be a Skype bug, but it means i can't use the bluetooth headset again and continue the call again until i restart OSX.

Is there any way of doing this without restarting the computer? Sometimes i can talk for 3 hours with no problems, sometimes the call drops after 5 mins, and messes up the bluetooth connection.

Thanks!

Eddie
I suspect that Mac OS X is still connected to the Bluetooth headset, even though the headset isn't in use. One way to fix this might be using the Bluetooth icon to turn Bluetooth off then back on again to force a disconnect.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Sharky II
macrumors 6502

Hey buddy - i've tried that - no dice, when i turn it back on it's still connected
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:35 AM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky II View Post
Hey buddy - i've tried that - no dice, when i turn it back on it's still connected
That's strange. Try unpairing the device, then re-pairing it with your computer. Does that reset it?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not terribly familiar with Bluetooth, having never used it before. I only know enough to do basic troubleshooting.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:40 AM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

What happens when you tap the call/hang button on the headset? Or alternatively turn the headset on and off?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Sharky II
macrumors 6502

Hi guys

Even deleting the headset from the bluetooth setup and repairing it doesn't help, you have to restart.

After it craps out, it seems to turn the bluetooth headset off!

Once i turn it back on, pressing the button on it once simply makes it beep for like 10 seconds, and nothing happens.

Turning the headset on/off doesn't help either...

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:52 PM   #7
jitterbugboy
macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same problem, usually when I hang up skype after a call has completed.

Also have a Sony Ericsson headset (HBH-300)

Bluetooth remains connected, Skype complains when trying to make a new connection that "Bluetooth audio in use. Another Bluetooth headset is already in use. Only one Bluetooth headset may be used at one time."

Also only happens occasionally, and only if the headset turns off when the connection is closed. Sometimes the headset does not turn off, and I am then able to make subsequent calls.

Any ideas on how to avoid the problem, or somehow restart bluetooth without restarting the computer would be very much appreciated.

Note: I have had this issue for some time now (I've noticed it for at least the past 6-8 months) so not something to do with a new Skype version etc.

I am currently using Skype 2.6.0.72
jitterbugboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:36 AM   #8
mileserickson
macrumors newbie

Reset Bluetooth Widget

I've been having trouble with my bluetooth internet connection hanging occasionally, requiring a restart, particularly on disconnect.

I found this "Reset Bluetooth" dashboard widget:
http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-32033.html

I can't vouch for its performance -- I haven't had the opportunity to test it, as my Bluetooth problem hasn't recurred yet -- but it looks promising.

Cheers,

Miles
mileserickson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:18 AM   #9
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

I think I have gotten around something like this by going to the skype preferences, selecting the internal speaker & mic, then select the BT headset again.

I use a motorolla S9 headset.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X