Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:33 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft: iPhone lacks business savvy

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft: iPhone lacks business savvy
Description:: Apple's soon-to-be-launched iPhone will be irrelevant to business users because it is a "closed device" and does not support Microsoft Office, a senior executive with the software giant said this week.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:34 PM   #2
bartelby
macrumors Core

Wow! M$ are really going all out to talk ******** about Apple at the moment aren't they?

Anyone would think they were worried or something!
bartelby is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

I agree, at least with the Office support, but i'd be willing o bet that Apple will add .doc support.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:44 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes View Post
Description:: Apple's soon-to-be-launched iPhone will be irrelevant to business users because it is a "closed device" and does not support Microsoft Office, a senior executive with the software giant said this week.
That could be a serious problem if Apple had intended the market for the iPhone to be business users.
aristobrat is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:45 PM   #5
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Gee, that's funny. I'm a business user and I'm getting one as soon as humanly possible.

It's Microsoft that's become irrelevant to me.

Arrogant pigs.

JNB is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:47 PM   #6
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
Gee, that's funny. I'm a business user and I'm getting one as soon as humanly possible.

Arrogant pigs.
They just seem to be attempting to smear every Apple product in the hope that M$ fanboys will actually believe them.
Talk about throwing your toys out the pram!

I'm so glad I didn't go ahead and get a new mobile phone with an M$ OS.
As you say "Arrogant pigs"
bartelby is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:50 PM   #7
tutubibi
macrumors 6502a

If this comment was coming from RIM or somebody else, it would be much more credible. But I agree that iPhone is not a business phone. That world is ruled by RIM and it will stay like that for quite some time. Symbian is also OK, SE P910 is one of the best "business" phones ever.

Windows Mobile is the ultimate piece of ...., what a pity that so many nice phones (in a hardware sense) suffers from that horrible OS.
tutubibi is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:51 PM   #8
TheSlush
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheSlush
Quote:
When contacted, an Apple Australia representative said: "I am not interested in commenting."
LOL
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Microsoft shouldn't be one to talk about Office support on mobile devices, seeing as how a third party application (Dataviz' Documents To Go) totally blows away Microsoft's own implementation in Windows Mobile.

I would not be surprised at all to see Dataviz amongst the third party developers that Apple allows into its walled garden.

More pure FUD from Microsoft. They seem to be slinging a lot more of it lately. Think they're scared?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

My response to Microsoft

Name:  baby-crying.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  7.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post

Arrogant pigs.
Why they have to go on and on about how Apple's products will fail is getting more than a little boring, I suppose Apple does the same with the OS to an extent but still...

Last edited by Eraserhead; Apr 19, 2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: clarity
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:57 PM   #11
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Why they have to go on and on about how Apple's products will fail is getting more than a little boring, I suppose Apple does the same with the OS, but still...
But the big difference is Apple actually know what they're talking about and they're right about M$ products!
bartelby is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:03 PM   #12
Leoff
macrumors regular

Translation:

"We saw the iPhone and immediately crapped our pants. This thing is gonna kill us."
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:07 PM   #13
Rocketman
macrumors 603

What they are basicly saying is:

"We were first to market as compared to Apple (but not Palm, RIM, Symbian, others), and as compared to Apple's currently unreleased product, we have a better market penetration after almost ONE year in release and a "consistent user interface".

So since they were able to get these statements, as limited as they are, "just in time", I wonder how they will look in say 3-4 months?

Apple adoption rates dominant
Apple Consistent user interface
Apple Works great on all MS-Office files
Apple announces limited but widely popular 3rd party apps

Rocketman

Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:09 PM   #14
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040

Um, how can a software company, ahem an electronics company, ahem a bloated conglomerate who has no iPhone like device in the pipeline, even have a say?

cough, someones, cough, mad!

/coughing from the smoke being blown up my bum!

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:17 PM   #15
Some_Big_Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Some_Big_Spoon
"Hi. We're Microsoft, and we're scared sh**tless."

Why not work with Apple to make it enterprise friendly, instead of bitching? They'd make more money, and they might actually make a good solution. Simply accept that the iPhone will be huge, and corner the market on enterprise apps for it. What's the problem?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:18 PM   #16
e-coli
macrumors 68000

The inability for the iPhone to use or open Word, PPT, or Excel files is no big deal. Who the heck wants to run those apps on a 4 inch screen? The big kicker is Outlook and the ability to sync with enterprise servers (Exchange servers). This is an enormous drawback and will keep the iPhone out of the enterprise market.

I work at a totally Apple-dominated corporation, and even we're not getting the iPhone because they don't work with Exchange. Sad Apple isn't willing to swallow some pride and admit the world operates, at least for the time being, on MS enterprise software.
e-coli is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:21 PM   #17
NAG
macrumors 68030

After a long work day, on the way home all I want to do is enter data into my excel spreadsheets.
NAG is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:24 PM   #18
sartinsauce
macrumors regular

Quick, somebody save this article. Five years from now, when Apple has virtually wiped Windows Mobile from the face of the Earth we can reload this article and thread and laugh like we do with Thread 500.
sartinsauce is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:27 PM   #19
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-coli View Post
I work at a totally Apple-dominated corporation, and even we're not getting the iPhone because they don't work with Exchange. Sad Apple isn't willing to swallow some pride and admit the world operates, at least for the time being, on MS enterprise software.
From the Keynote I thought it did work with exchange .
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Max Payne
macrumors 6502a

When will they introduce the ZunePhone? Oh yeah, after the iPhone succeeds.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:33 PM   #21
KingofAwesome
macrumors regular

I really don't see how it would be a big deal if the iPhone doesn't dominate the business world. Apple products are the fun products that people use when they get out of work. The other smartphones are what people have to use when they are at work. If you wanted to spend the next five minutes doing something you enjoy doing and you are staring at an iPhone next to the smartphone you use for your job, which one are you going to pick up?

If Apple is planning on focusing on making devices we enjoy using in our free time, I think they'll have a larger market to address than the people who need to access their Exchange account and Excel spreadsheets.

Like the iPod, I believe the iPhone can start out as a luxury toy and gradually gain more market share over the next few years. I'd certainly like to have a phone that I enjoy, rather than my RAZR (although part of my problem is Verizon's "you can't do anything with your phone" strategy).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they are going to miss out on the people who need MS Office on their phones and use one phone for business/personal. However, we don't know how much of that demographic would want to switch phones/carriers and we don't even know if it will be normal for that demographic to have two phones in the future.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:34 PM   #22
jonharris200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartinsauce View Post
Quick, somebody save this article. Five years from now, when Apple has virtually wiped Windows Mobile from the face of the Earth we can reload this article and thread and laugh like we do with Thread 500.
We do love that thread! vvv
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:35 PM   #23
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofAwesome View Post
Like the iPod, I believe the iPhone can start out as a luxury toy and gradually gain more market share over the next few years. I'd certainly like to have a phone that I enjoy, rather than my RAZR (although part of my problem is Verizon's "you can't do anything with your phone" strategy).
Exactly!
Nearly everyone said the iPod was very nice but, but over priced and who would need to carry around 1,000 songs?

Look what happened. I feel the iPhone will follow the same path.
bartelby is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:36 PM   #24
sjo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartinsauce View Post
Apple doesn't need to do that, Windows Mobile already is (and always has been) irrelevant niche product

The ruling mobile OS is Symbian, Linux having some potential as well.
sjo is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:36 PM   #25
Ars Diaboli
macrumors member

Wonder how strong the OSX system on iPhone will be?

Just think, it could get to the point that is supports all file formats. It is already supposed to support pdf format and there was a very good comment that who wants to edit an excel file on such a small screen.

However, who wouldn't want someone to email you on your iPhone and you dock with your laptop and sync over the file and work on it and send it back. That would be great! However, memory would get to be a problem, especially if it was a large file. I am not sure, but I don't think the Blackberry's have that capability to they?

Of course, it would take a stronger version of OSX rather than a stripped down version, don't you think?

And I wonder if some of the 'secret' features on Leopard will incorporate some of these features, blurring the operating system (no need for Parallel's desktop!!!) requirements. Will these migrate to the iPhone OSX?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion