Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zukum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
My iMac G5 is starting to really act up on me. Among other sluggish symptoms, when I put the pointer at the edge of the Desktop for the Menu to "appear", the menu doesn't roll onto the screen like it's supposed to. The menu icons also don't zoom as I roll over them.

It's been 3 years since I purchased the iMac and have never done maintenance or cleaning. How do you perform maintenance on the OS? Should I buy an external HD, backup everything, and totally reinstall the OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If you haven't restarted your machine in a while, do that.

Opinions differ greatly about the advantages of reinstalling the OS but it is always a good idea to have an external drive and back-up.

Check your Dock settings. It is possible for your Preferences to become corrupted. You may want to Trash Preferences > com.apple.dock.plist and then reset them.

Use Activity Monitor to check what is running and how much processor activity it is using.

Are you doing more, or different things, now than you used to? How much RAM do you have?

jwp333

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Start with good old MacJanitor to run the maintenance scripts. Onyx has the same scripts too. You want to run daily, weekly and monthly scripts. You can do them all at one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.