Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
A warning to everybody, the server is overloaded. If I can get it downloaded I might be able to put up a mirror.

Very nice.

I can't decide whether I like Handbrake or Mac the Ripper better. I've kind of been using them both. :p

Well, they're such different programs. I use handbrake because I use it for TV shows. That way I can have all of my TV shows around in a portable format and sorted by episode rather than a disc of episodes.

Sorry for the large number of posts. But I got handbrake downloaded and have it here if the server is still slow to respond.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Thanks for the share, the UI is a whole lot snappier than the Handbrake of old. Gone with the Mediafork view. Looks good. Glad to see new releases of this program, had feared that it might have ebbed out of existence.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for the share, the UI is a whole lot snappier than the Handbrake of old. Gone with the Mediafork view. Looks good. Glad to see new releases of this program, had feared that it might have ebbed out of existence.

Agreed. I love the new presets drawer they've added as well. This definitely is looking good.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Handbrake Windows

Would like to try the GUI windows version, anyone have a mirror?

Thanks!! Run OSX version on a Dual G5 now.

And thank you so very much for the OS X link.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I hope they've address that anoying issue where sometimes it ripps the DVD with half of the sound. Besides that handbrake is awsome.

Debtoine

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
So, are MediaFork and Handbrake two different products, or is it one and the same... this is just really confusing.

T

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Wow, I'm going through this and there are a lot of cool new features.
I especially like the 5.1 surround and chaptermarkers. Then to be able to makes presets make life so much easier.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
So, are MediaFork and Handbrake two different products, or is it one and the same... this is just really confusing.

T

Handbrake was release a long time ago but development ground to a halt. Then another set of developers used the open source code and built upon it calling their application Mediafork. However now Handbrake developers + Mediafork's developers have joined together and the application is now called Handbrake again.

Wow, I'm going through this and there are a lot of cool new features.
I especially like the 5.1 surround and chaptermarkers. Then to be able to makes presets make life so much easier.

I saw the chapter makers too, hoped that they would enable the video to have chapters automatically put in for quicktime use. Not sure what this feature actually does.

Autonaming- finally where have you been all my life, the amount of times i set up a massive queue only to forget about changing the file names and just getting a single video file out at the end.

For me it is only using at most 40% cpu where old handbrake would use 190%

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI

T

They had forked, but are now merged again.

I saw the chapter makers too, hoped that they would enable the video to have chapters automatically put in for quicktime use. Not sure what this feature actually does.

From what I've been looking at in descriptions, it looks like the same type of markers as in iTunes Movies

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
From what I've been looking at in descriptions, it looks like the same type of markers as in iTunes Movies

It looks like the quicktime chapters but done inside iTunes but doesn't work as quicktime chapters even though iTunes uses quicktime to play. Odd.

Does Handbrake use all of your CPU/cores?

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
It looks like the quicktime chapters but done inside iTunes but doesn't work as quicktime chapters even though iTunes uses quicktime to play. Odd.

Does Handbrake use all of your CPU/cores?

Not quite. It uses about 155% so I still have about 5-10% left overall.

EDIT: That's on a 2.0GHz Core Duo MBP

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
This is still beta... is it safe to use? Or should I stick with MediaFork for the time being?

I've just done a clean install on my iMac and I really don't want anything to mess it up...

Steve.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
This is still beta... is it safe to use? Or should I stick with MediaFork for the time being?

I've just done a clean install on my iMac and I really don't want anything to mess it up...

Steve.

Mediafork was also a beta. It is working almost perfectly on my computer, apart from not seeing the second core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.