Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dansezmoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
So, like many Macbook Pros, my unit has had issues with overheating. It generally runs at around 64 degrees celcius when I'm just using Safari and/or Word. I got SMC Fan Control to bump up the fan speed to try and cool down the running temperature about a month or two ago, and the average went down to more like 60 degrees. Then yesterday, a deep murmuring sputter started to sound from the fans and today the temperature was up to 79 degrees celcius and the fan speed says that it is running at 000rpm and I don't hear any fans spinning. Has this happened to anyone? I'm trying to keep my computer until the end of the semester in 2.5 weeks if at all possible... Is there a way to fix it or should I just call AppleCare?

Thanks!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
You might want to get a box fan and have it blowing air on the MacBook Pro, and then make sure it's on a flat surface so that the air can blow both over and under the MacBook Pro. Take it to Apple at the end of the semester if the box fan idea works, but be sure to delete any trace of SMCfancontrol or any other app like that. In response to your other question, I've been running SMCfancontrol (1.2.3) on my MacBook Pro for months and not had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.