Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
What the heck is Q6?

Taken from the article in the initial post.

"There is one additional mystery product in the short-term pipeline, a hardware project known as Q6. Little is known about Q6 other than that it will ship with a build train of Mac OS X code-named "Blackrider," and that Apple previously intended to wrap up development this month or the next. Whether or not Q6 is now slated to be one of the hardware announcements at WWDC is unclear."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Wow... thinksecret posting about the mysterious boxes makes this even more interesting... plus, it's good to see there's still something we don't seem to know anything about out there - Q6. I can't wait till Monday :D

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
what seems most interesting is this Q6 uses its own build train of os x - blackrider. By that i guess they mean a seperate version than os x regular like jag or panther? Does this therefor suggest os x light or whatever you want to call it, some form of DLD such as the home tablet device or whatever. Good thing about this article is that it comes from think secret and they usually have a good record. I guess its the same thing as arm mentioned a while ago as a comms device - or maybe thats the q8 thing, and possibly the mac whispers white plastic thing (if they can be belived)

arby

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2002
Ireland
I agree that the most intriguing thing mentioned in the latest Think Secret post is Q6. What on earth could it be?

A PDA is completely out of the window, Jobs has been quoted multiple times saying that he thinks the PDA market is a no-go area for Apple.

New iPods have just been released, so we can rule out any new iPods as we know them.

What about some sort of Pro iPod with improved / increased functionality, using the OLED screens menthioned on Think Secret, which could be a roming digital device used around the home and office.

Such a device, running a modified version of the upcoming 10.3 could be used to transfer digital media and files unique to a user between their home machine and the office / laptop. This would, in theory at least, tie in with eWeek's report of a more user-centered version of Mac OS X in Panther and Think Secret's report of a rumoured new iChat / digi-cam.

This is, however, random conjecture based on nothing more than the acumulation of reports gathered around the various Mac rumour sites. Could it happen.... who knows?

I think we will see a new Power Mac (whether its called a G5 or PPC970 is anyone's guess) at the WWDC. We've had corellating reports from numerous sites from the super dodgy, read MacOSRumors.com, right up to the more respected online 'zines such as eWeek and CNET News.com, even a public quotation from a prominent Wall Street stock analyst.

In any case, Think Secret seem to be intimating that the Q6 mysto device / OS will not be ready in time for the WWDC, but that development should be wrapped up "this month or the next."

It should be good on Monday. At least, that's what I think from my perspective...:p

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
So we have rumors of a a small white plastic casing, a 6" to 8" screen, and a build of OS X called "Blackrider". I hate to be a rumor mongerer really but it is becoming increasingly convincing that there will be a small portable digital device. . . Not a tablet, not a pda, not necessarily a upgraded iPod, but something new and exciting! Jeez, I really can't wait to see this Q6, Q37, "BlackRider", "Smeagol" and heh, Panther of course.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
heeh something discussed on the IRC channel

Q = Quicktake
6 = Quicktime 6 technology

anything can happen :)

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
More about the boxes. Q8, Blackrider, stock upgrades - looks like the 970 and some other nice suprises are in store for Monday. Alot of this also sounds very much like what Jobs would want - a big splash, hey look at us (me) event. There is an interesting quote from Steve about him liking big, fancy introductions in a book about the Segway. From the look of things, Monday sounds like it will be just that.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
How's this for a theory....

Q6 will be Apples version of a digital camera. This fills the "image" hardware gap of Apple's digital hub just as the iPod fills the "audio" gap.

This could be the device that uses some of those mysterious components... small screen, small plastic case.

Just think, a digital camera with a 30 GB hardrive instead of a media card, FireWire 800 port, and intergrates with iLife.

Oh yeah, I can see it!

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Monday has the posiblity of being a very good day for me since WWDC and I get my final year of Uni results back. Then again I could get a 2,2 in marks at Uni and Apple might not show off anything besides 10.3. ( 2,2 is 50% overall for those who do not know the UK Uni system, I am aiming for 2,1 or a 1st).

macdiesel

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Louisville KY
perhaps

blackrider is the code for the interim OS X that is installed on the 970's? and perhaps blackrider is suggesting that the new 970's are black (think Next cube)? thus proving the leaked photo as fake?

It's all so very exciting isn't it?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Corroboration?

It would seem as though now (4 days prior to WWDC) things are starting to fall into place. It's hard to say what's really going to happen (despite all our knowledge!). I think the reports of "Blackrider" are very curious. I feel that they seem to be coming out of nowhere...rather surprising! Well, I'm very excited for the 970, iChat upgrade, PANTHER PREVIEW!!! Looks like this should be interesting!!!! :D

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Re: How's this for a theory....

Originally posted by Fender2112
Q6 will be Apples version of a digital camera. This fills the "image" hardware gap of Apple's digital hub just as the iPod fills the "audio" gap.

This could be the device that uses some of those mysterious components... small screen, small plastic case.

Just think, a digital camera with a 30 GB hardrive instead of a media card, FireWire 800 port, and intergrates with iLife.

Oh yeah, I can see it!

I can't really see what apple could do that others have not in the world of digital cameras. If Apple does release a digital camera, I am expecting a 3Mpixel combination webcam/digital camera.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
2 Different Boxes

I remember that in the initial reports about the boxes that someone said that there was a large box and a smaller box. . . Anyone know anything about the smaller box?

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
just a random thought here, but since Panther is just about the official name for the next major release of OS X, is it possible that it is actually not called panther internally anymore, but could instead be codenamed 'blackrider'? I mean, it sort of makes sense with the whole LotR concept... tenuous, i know, but still :)

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Could 'blackrider' be the new version of OSX that will be running on the PAL device that was leaked a couple weeks back, and the source of the mysterious screenshot from a few days ago??? I can't wait to see what happens next week.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Q6 = surprised nobody else caught this, Quark 6!

I mean really, Apple is all excited about it and wants it on its homepage.

On its own, it isn't a hardware product, but it means hardware can finally move forward into all Mac OS X only booting.

drizahy4

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
G5 powerbooks I say

Thats what i say. G5 towers as well as G5 powerbooks. Just saying "This is the year of the powerbook!" aint no better way than to announce it early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.