Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IrishMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Has anyone succeded in hacking open a dead lamp iMac to make use of that nifty arm? I've spotted an stripped out one on ebay and wondered if one could mount a new screen, kinda using the arm like a vesa mount. Might be tricky getting the various ends to connect and god knows how much cable room exists in the middle of that arm. My plan would be to get a 17"/19" monitor and run it off my 24" iMac as a 2nd screen.

Locatel

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Has anyone succeded in hacking open a dead lamp iMac to make use of that nifty arm? I've spotted an stripped out one on ebay and wondered if one could mount a new screen, kinda using the arm like a vesa mount. Might be tricky getting the various ends to connect and god knows how much cable room exists in the middle of that arm. My plan would be to get a 17"/19" monitor and run it off my 24" iMac as a 2nd screen.

As far as I know the arm is balanced according to the screen weight, if you manage to fix a different screen you'll have to find a way to balance it accordingly.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
They already have 17" and 20" imac G4 screens, so why bother retrofitting your own?

good luck trying to make a custom connector. You'll probably need to look up a pin-out for VGA so the iMac's Mini DVI can plug into it alright. All in all, this will be no easy task.

But as always, good luck!

IrishMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
No the iMac I've seen is gutted. It has no lcd panel, just the back plate that would have held it. Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130101800492&rd=1&rd=1

See what I mean? I've always loved the fluid movement of the arm on those macs and it just occured to me it would look different to have one on your desk as a glorified monitor stand :D The challenge would be to get a bracket to connect another lcd panel to the arm and run the cables through the arm. So I would not be using the exisiting video cables running through the arm.

But yeah I get ya on the balance. Too heavy a monitor and it won't work.

If it fails well I can just stick some cork wood in the frame and use it as a glorified post it note board! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.