Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cadillaccactus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
The price of a tree would skyrocket as demand-pull inflation in the tree market takes its toll.

or something-- it's too early in the morning for ecomonics!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The price of a tree would skyrocket as demand-pull inflation in the tree market takes its toll.

or something-- it's too early in the morning for ecomonics!

Plus more paper would be needed to print extra money too.
Not to mention they'd have to fly the little trees to demand hotspots all over the world. Then we'd need to plant even more trees to deal with the extra carbon from the aviation fuel, and so on, and so on. :eek:

Planet Earth would become like Endor, only without the teddy bears.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The biggest problem with carbon offsetting, is that it doesn't change peoples attitudes nor their lifestyles. They do it for nothing else than to salve their conscience.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Carbon dioxide is NOT a pollutant.

But trees are pretty… I think 6B would leave us with very little room to live though… :rolleyes:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Until a huge forest fire does more damage. More trees that would burn equals more pollution.

You can't just plant more trees without getting rid of the old dead trees first. If the forrest gets to thick nothing will grow anyways.

I don't have to plant anything, the seeds spread and plant themselves making more work for me to try to maintain it all.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Don't you mean earth could be come like Forest moon of Endor?

We never say the Endor itself
:p
Ah. I just assumed it was Star Wars descriptive-speak, like "Ice Planet of Hoth". Having not read any of the books and stuff though, I'll bow to your greater geekhood on the matter :p

Trogloxene

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
I buy a live christmas tree each year and then go plant it afterwards. That way I don't "kill a tree for christmas"! and I add a tree.

I think I will go plant a tree for Earth Day - it is still a good idea! :)

-T

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Good call...also if there are already 6 billion tree(the one we'd be planting) aren't they all ready doing there job?;)

Exactly. You're not making a new tree. You're just migrating a tree from one place to another. The tree is alive whether you plant it or not, and if you don't plant it, someone else will plant that tree somewhere else.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I buy a live christmas tree each year and then go plant it afterwards. That way I don't "kill a tree for christmas"! and I add a tree.

I think I will go plant a tree for Earth Day - it is still a good idea! :)

-T

How do you use it then? do you put it in a big pot and plop the whole thing in your living room?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Trying to plant millions of trees in downtown LA or New York will have a lot of people pissed off.

Although the convertibles in LA would make some nifty planters? ;)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Exactly. You're not making a new tree. You're just migrating a tree from one place to another. The tree is alive whether you plant it or not, and if you don't plant it, someone else will plant that tree somewhere else.

But when people buy them there will be more planted or else the stores would run out, so there would end up being more trees.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
We have planted several hundred over the past 10 years. We have 5 acres and it is ~50% tree covered. We also give away ~50/year to our suburban city friends. I would be glad to provide free trees to anyone who wants them.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
But when people buy them there will be more planted or else the stores would run out, so there would end up being more trees.

The trees already existed. Whether it was sitting indoors in a greenhouse/store, or outside on your front lawn doesn't change a thing. The trees existed before you bought it, and just because it's sitting in a store doesn't mean it's not cleaning our air. You can't stop a tree from taking in CO2 just because of a lack of ownership.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
nonsense, I could plant 100 trees behind my house, easily. So could all my neighbors, and they are pretty close to me. 6B trees sounds like a lot, but it's really not in terms of space.

Okay, I could see that. But tell me this- how do you plan to water them?@! :D ha haha. We'd have to melt down the remaining glacial ice… ha ha, that's a whole new world of polar bears drowning right? :D

That's it! Here on MR we proved it. All the environmental requests can not be met. We're all screwed! :eek: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.