Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I am getting a new Macbook pro with vista installed it comes with Parallels but I want to run the Aero desktop.How do I install Bootcamp and run Aero?Can I do this while having parallels on my desktop?

schmintan

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
you cannot use vista aero via parallels. vista requires access to the graphics hardware, and when using parallels, it only gets access to a VM ( i think). to use aero, you need to install vista using boot camp.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
you cannot use vista aero via parallels. vista requires access to the graphics hardware, and when using parallels, it only gets access to a VM ( i think). to use aero, you need to install vista using boot camp.

I have parallels on my macbook pro installed do I have to uninstall parallels and vista and start all over when I install bootcamp or can I just put bootcamp on?

schmintan

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
from reading on these forums, i believe you can install another copy of vista via boot camp, however the installation used in boot camp and the installation used in parallels cannot be the same. its a vista limitation in the current version of parallels

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
from reading on these forums, i believe you can install another copy of vista via boot camp, however the installation used in boot camp and the installation used in parallels cannot be the same. its a vista limitation in the current version of parallels

So I would have to unistall parallels and vista and then put bootcamp and vista on.Is this correct.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
You don't need to uninstall it. Just need to have not activated Vista on your Parallels partition yet.

What happens when I am on 0SX and I want to go over to vista with parallels and I have bootcamp on my system are you saying It will not work because I can't activate 2.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
What happens when I am on 0SX and I want to go over to vista with parallels and I have bootcamp on my system are you saying It will not work because I can't activate 2.

Parallels can run Windows from a Bootcamp partition, but Bootcamp cannot run Windows from a Parallels virtual harddrive file. So the solution is to install Windows in a Bootcamp partition and point Parallels at that.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Parallels can run Windows from a Bootcamp partition, but Bootcamp cannot run Windows from a Parallels virtual harddrive file. So the solution is to install Windows in a Bootcamp partition and point Parallels at that.

Oh so I can have bootcamp and parallels on my computer.I am new at this thanks.

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
Oh so I can have bootcamp and parallels on my computer.I am new at this thanks.
It hasn't been said about the fact that Parallels has Bootcamp support.
It means that you can have one copy of Windows for both Bootcamp and Parallels.
In Vista this EULA has become much more strict. No one abides it, anyway

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You don't need to uninstall it. Just need to have not activated Vista on your Parallels partition yet.

sorry to revive an old thread, but is there anyway to do this AFTER you have activated?? i installed parallels the other day and im scared that if i start up the VM it will recognise it as different hardware and whatnot.

cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.