Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
I do not own an iPod. For my travelling music needs I have a RioVolt mp3 CD player that cost $130 and takes $.19 CDs full of my mp3s. I like the IDEA of the iPod, but there's something about it that is so NOT Apple - the graphic interface.

Why is it that the world's #1 proponent of eye-pleasing hardware and GUI's came up with a b&w folder-based screen for their next-level audio player?? Why doesn't the iPod have AT LEAST a b&w iTunes built in??

I think that having iTunes as a part of the iPod package would be great as a way to distinguish it from all other audio players and fully Apple-ize it. Also, for non-Mac users who own and use the iPod, this would be a great way to get used to the functionalty and look of iTunes before it comes to Windows.

This is all much ado about very little, but whenever I see an iPod all I can think of is a calculator with a fancy cover.

Thoughts?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
the ipod ui is great.............why would you need an mp3 player when the only function of the device is to play mp3s ... without a keyboard itunes would be useless also there is no room for the library window to make it readable.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: why not iTunes IN iPod?

Originally posted by mike czech
I do not own an iPod. For my travelling music needs I have a RioVolt mp3 CD player that cost $130 and takes $.19 CDs full of my mp3s. I like the IDEA of the iPod, but there's something about it that is so NOT Apple - the graphic interface.

Why is it that the world's #1 proponent of eye-pleasing hardware and GUI's came up with a b&w folder-based screen for their next-level audio player?? Why doesn't the iPod have AT LEAST a b&w iTunes built in??

I think that having iTunes as a part of the iPod package would be great as a way to distinguish it from all other audio players and fully Apple-ize it. Also, for non-Mac users who own and use the iPod, this would be a great way to get used to the functionalty and look of iTunes before it comes to Windows.

This is all much ado about very little, but whenever I see an iPod all I can think of is a calculator with a fancy cover.

Thoughts?

without a mouse to move around, itunes doesn't make much sense. as for why its b&w, two words: battery life.

I might also mention that iTunes is a rather large software program. I suppose they could strip it down, but to make ti functional, it would end up working in exactly the same way.

I'm not sure I can see how you think it would work. I think apple did it right. No application, just an easy to understand, intuitive user interface that does exactly what you need it to do fast. Not everything needs a fancy UI. some things, like the iPod, would be hurt by having a more expansive UI.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sure a color screen sounds nice and would look nice, but when you get down to it a B&W screen is just as, if not more, functional.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
thats whats so great about the ipod, doesnt have all that color crap to confuse the user. what is the point of having a pretty interface with color when it will drive up cost, lower battery life and the ipod is in your pocket 95% of the time. fancy calculator.....enjoy your riovolt.

iJon

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
apple recognizes, and i agree, that handheld devices require different UIs than desktop/laptop computers.

c.f. the Newton OS, still the best handheld OS i've ever used.

now look at Windows CE. microsoft seems to think that the best thing for a handheld is to make it look just like windows, only on a (much) smaller screen.

when one considers the difference in devices in how the user works the device (scrollwheel vs. mouse, pen vs. keyboard, etc.), i think it only makes sense to reflect that in the entire approach to the GUI.

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
besides the fact that I never said anything about a color screen, just about giving the display a little more eye-candy possibilities...

I sit corrected.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by mike czech
besides the fact that I never said anything about a color screen, just about giving the display a little more eye-candy possibilities...

I sit corrected.
what exactly do you want it to have.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.