Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:10 AM   #1
willybNL
macrumors 6502

Location: ((New York) - (New) ) + Zoom out = Europe, The Netherlands
Why you want a mac....

Should speak for itself. Windows even asks questions you are not able to answer... Hate it when I get this (every month!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows update.gif
Views:	157
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	73124  
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Nym
macrumors 6502a

Actually a big difference between OSX and Windows is that in Windows I've always eagerly disabled automatic updates because of the hassle, while in OSX I'm addicted to them, when something new appears in software update I'll click immediately and go WHOPPEE
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Vinnie_vw
macrumors 6502

Indeed. But in a way, Apple updates are just as bad in that they require you to restart and you can't just close the window. For Windows, I'm not sure how my settings are but the behaviour is similar. It doesn't automatically restart though, that would be incredibly annoying.
Vinnie_vw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:39 AM   #4
smokeyrabbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie_vw View Post
Indeed. But in a way, Apple updates are just as bad in that they require you to restart and you can't just close the window. For Windows, I'm not sure how my settings are but the behaviour is similar. It doesn't automatically restart though, that would be incredibly annoying.
This is not true. Only system-level updates require a restart, and you are free to go about your business until you are ready to restart. Nothing 'forces' you to restart. You can hide or minimize the window.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:07 AM   #5
slayr-cxf50
macrumors member

I particularly hate it how Windows just presents you with annoying dialogs constantly and sometimes gives you no option to change anything (like these update dialogs). This is the most difficult thing to get used to again when I use a pc.

Nice pic
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
roland.g
macrumors 603

Windows is like the DMV, plan on being there all day for something that should take 10 minutes.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr-cxf50 View Post
I particularly hate it how Windows just presents you with annoying dialogs constantly and sometimes gives you no option to change anything (like these update dialogs).
In that case, "dialog" is not really the correct word, is it? More like "monologue" boxes.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:53 AM   #8
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
In that case, "dialog" is not really the correct word, is it? More like "monologue" boxes.
Post of the day nomination.

I don't have to deal with MS's updates or patches that often. But Adobe's on our university / hospital computers drive me insane. Do you want me to automatically look for updates for you? Oh, no? In that case, let me go look at what updates are available and tell you about them. You don't want to install any of them? Are you sure? When would you like me to ask you again? Ugh.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Lovesong
macrumors 65816

Windows has found new hardware!
Corsair Flash Voyager!
New Hardware Wizard!
Can windows connect to the internet to find the appropriate drivers? - No
Install drivers automatically (recommended) - sure
Searching for drivers....
Drivers cannot be found. Would you like to search the internet? - I said no!
Back
Install drivers from a location (advanced) - alright, how 'bout you
Portable Media (floppy, CD) - no, I lost the disk
Location (HD) - I know I downloaded the drivers
{searches for a while through tree structure, eventually finding drivers}
These drivers are not compatible with this version of Windows, would you like to search the internet.
-Fine.
Welcome to the microsoft network. Please type your question.. -^%$# off!

Windows has detected that your computer is in freefall from your third floor apartment window Allow or Deny....
I will not drunk post....
Lovesong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Queso
macrumors 603

Go to the Registry Editor and add a new DWORD value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software?Policies/Microsoft/WindowsWindows Update/AU named NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and set it to 1. You'll still get an annoying message, but without the time limit.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:37 PM   #11
sonarghost
macrumors regular

I hate the automatic software updates and dialog boxes in windows..I've had the computer restart itself while i was in the middle of something very important before....
sonarghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X