Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

IBM Preps for Apple Announcements

In the wake of the leaked specs, The Mercury News reports on further signs of IBM/Apple announcements on monday:

Quote:
IBM has scheduled analyst briefings on the chip to begin after Apple Chairman and Chief Executive Steve Jobs gives his keynote address. A group of IBM engineers has come to Apple's Cupertino headquarters for last-minute preparations. And Apple's close partners say significantly faster Apple machines should arrive before the end of the year.
These hints simply confirm what has been widely expected, and while the question of the PowerMac specs may have been laid to rest (for the non-conspiracy theorists), the questions of shipping time and price remain open.

Last edited by arn; Jun 20, 2003 at 03:05 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:52 PM   #2
Ayre
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Ayre
Good things to hear, indeed. Guess we'll just have to wait for Monday to come now.
Ayre is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:54 PM   #3
dethl
macrumors regular

Wait....

Are we going to see any machines before the end of the summer? Or am I reading this wrong and even FASTER machines (> 2ghz) will be coming at the end of the year?
dethl is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:57 PM   #4
sabbath999
macrumors member

Yeah baby!

It's the real deal
sabbath999 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:58 PM   #5
kb9000
macrumors member

yay
kb9000 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

YIPPIE!!! I knew this rumor was true!!!
Vlade is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 02:59 PM   #7
jcdenton
macrumors newbie

Or they're panicking....

Either they're there for the Keynote or they're there because Apple is panicking about the hacker who got that picture up last night (joking).

I'm glad we'll be getting some info from IBM about the 970 soon. We haven't heard much since last fall, except for that article from Stokes over at Ars Technica, but that wasn't really from IBM, was it.

Time to go find my credit card...
jcdenton is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:01 PM   #8
starflyer 59
macrumors newbie

It is going to be one exciting day on Monday. I have lunch at 12 pm Central and there is an Apple store less than 2 miles away... Wonder where I will be?
- denison marrs 'you feel like'
starflyer 59 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:04 PM   #9
mkaake
macrumors 65816

yeah, i'm pretty sure that there's going to be no lunch for me during lunch break on monday... and it might just have to last 2 hours or so...

matt
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:05 PM   #10
Bunzi2k4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Bunzi2k4
this will be interesting.... although sad... i just baught a 12" pb... darnit.... o well hope this lasts for a little while :-/
Bunzi2k4 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:06 PM   #11
cthorp
macrumors member

PCI-X

Is there anyone who can give a breakdown on what PCI-x is and how it compares to the current PCI slots and some evaluation of the audio optical vs. analog would be good too. Also, how much is 8 Gigs of RAM going to run?

Thanks,
Cameron
cthorp is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:07 PM   #12
jethroted
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jethroted
Quote:
Originally posted by dethl
Wait....

Are we going to see any machines before the end of the summer? Or am I reading this wrong and even FASTER machines (> 2ghz) will be coming at the end of the year?
Yeah, I hope they mean >2 Ghz machines. Otherwise it will be a long 6 months.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:09 PM   #13
RHutch
macrumors 6502

Skip the weekend

For once I would like to skip the weekend and go straight from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. I'm not able to buy a machine any time soon, but this is just so darn exciting!
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:12 PM   #14
Steradian
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Steradian Send a message via Yahoo to Steradian
Heh I read that is Morning, that is great, they were a bit general and focused on how the current powermac offerings are less than grand. The Merc will sometimes jump the gun however so i don't think this is 100 percent certification, but it's still good news
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:16 PM   #15
justathought87
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Wait....

don't worry, it like the ITMS "by the end of the year" it is meant to let other companies relax
justathought87 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:23 PM   #16
macman21
macrumors newbie

Edited so people would stop yelling at me for making a simple mistake.

Last edited by macman21; Jun 20, 2003 at 08:31 PM.
macman21 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:33 PM   #17
starflyer 59
macrumors newbie

One thing I have never understood is why Apple will not let people have a single processor configuration or dual based on their needs. I think it is pretty obvious that you could fit two of the 1.6 chips in the motherboards that they are using for the dual 2.0's. Also, I would love to have the option to get a single 2.0 processor. It should not be such a big deal.
- denison marrs 'you feel like'
starflyer 59 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:39 PM   #18
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by starflyer 59
One thing I have never understood is why Apple will not let people have a single processor configuration or dual based on their needs. I think it is pretty obvious that you could fit two of the 1.6 chips in the motherboards that they are using for the dual 2.0's. Also, I would love to have the option to get a single 2.0 processor. It should not be such a big deal.
Remember the old iMacs with 5 colors, and how apple always was short on some colors and had so much tangerine it was 100 bucks less?

Sure it would be nice, but apple probably won't do it.
Vlade is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:41 PM   #19
pilotgi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, faster than 2Ghz by the end of the year. And next year, they'll have the 980 built on the 0.90 nm process. IBM ought to be getting close to 4 Ghz by the second half of 2004.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:43 PM   #20
k2k koos
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif

i believe too they are reffering to even faster machines towards christmas, isn't it true that Apple usually updates its products every 6-8 months, be it minor details, or substantial upgrades...

we'll see, now I'm going to take a sleeping pill and wake up on monday, that way I don't have to wait! http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:44 PM   #21
emdezet
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to emdezet
dual processors

i am actually wondering:

if the power4 is multicore by design, is it really that much cheaper to put 2 seperate PPCs 970 on the board?

couldn't they use some scaled down multicore?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:45 PM   #22
hmmfe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by macman21
I have serious doubts about the availability of these machines. One problem is Serial ATA. I have done some research, and while there are plenty of Serial ATA controllers out, there wont be any true Serial ATA hard drives out until December of this year.

http://www.explosivelabs.com/articles/sata/
No offense, but you need to do a bit more research. The article you linked to was Oct. 2002. So, the December reference was Dec. 2002.

Segate makes a "true" S-ATA drive. They have been shipping for quite some time now. Welcome to 2003!
hmmfe is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:46 PM   #23
bertagert
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wait....

Theres no way they would announce system and not ship for 6 months. They will release the 1.6 - 2.0 GHZ on monday and by the end of the year we will see 2.2 - 2.5 GHZ. Thats my take anyway.
bertagert is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:49 PM   #24
DamnDJ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by macman21
I have serious doubts about the availability of these machines. One problem is Serial ATA. I have done some research, and while there are plenty of Serial ATA controllers out, there wont be any true Serial ATA hard drives out until December of this year.
Seems to me that Serial ATA drivers are in pretty good supply...

http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m26.htm

Whether or not these are "true" Serial ATA drives, Apple would have no problem putting these in, just like they stuck DDR memory in the current machines.
DamnDJ is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:50 PM   #25
macman21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by hmmfe
No offense, but you need to do a bit more research. The article you linked to was Oct. 2002. So, the December reference was Dec. 2002.

Segate makes a "true" S-ATA drive. They have been shipping for quite some time now. Welcome to 2003!
Oooops! Sorry about that. I read it and assumed it meant December 2003.
macman21 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)