Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

What Jobs DIDNíT mention about iTunes subscriptions: Movies

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: What Jobs DIDNíT mention about iTunes subscriptions: Movies
Description:: Earlier this week, Reuters asked Steve Jobs whether the iTunes store would ever adopt a subscription based approach to music instead of Appleís current purchase-only model. ďNever say never, but customers donít seem to be interested in it,Ē Jobs said. ďThe subscription model has failed so far.Ē

Quite right. However there is one area of the iTunes store where there can be no doubt that a ďrentingĒ model has worked for decades, and that is the home video business.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:17 PM   #2
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i know i'd start downloading and watching movies on my iMac/macbook if i could just rent the movies.
PlaceofDis is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:28 PM   #3
chibianh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis View Post
i know i'd start downloading and watching movies on my iMac/macbook if i could just rent the movies.
me too.. It'd be better, too, if they were in HD.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:36 PM   #4
mattscott306
macrumors 68040

I'll third that opinion. I'd much rather "rent" a movie from iTunes then drive to stinkin' blockbuster, or wait two days for the movie to come in from netflix.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5
lord patton
macrumors 65816

If Apple offered HD rentals, I'd buy a 37" HD LCD and TV right now.

But they don't, and so I haven't even considered getting the TV.

You listening Apple*? iTS exists to sell hardware, right? Get on it.

* Yes, I know they're not listening.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:51 PM   #6
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord patton View Post
If Apple offered HD rentals, I'd buy a 37" HD LCD and TV right now.

But they don't, and so I haven't even considered getting the TV.

You listening Apple*? iTS exists to sell hardware, right? Get on it.

* Yes, I know they're not listening.
i wouldn't be surprised if they actually do pay attention to forums like this. its in their best interest to do so actually. saves them time and money from doing so many market surveys and such.
PlaceofDis is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 01:02 PM   #7
justflie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
i wouldn't be surprised if they actually do pay attention to forums like this. its in their best interest to do so actually. saves them time and money from doing so many market surveys and such.
Yeah, but they probably would want input from "normal" people. We're just a little off our rockers!
justflie is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 01:23 PM   #8
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post
Yeah, but they probably would want input from "normal" people. We're just a little off our rockers!
Thats true...the overall feel of the iPod was negative here(some liked it), and most here would like an Intel Mac Pro cube, but that most likely would flop again!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:01 PM   #9
glennyboiwpg
macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree with you guys, I'd love to rent movies from ITMS and I would buy TV in a second if they did that....

Also....

LET US BUY/RENT MOVIES/TV SHOWS IN CANADA FROM ITMS PLEASE!!!!!

NOW!
glennyboiwpg is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:08 PM   #10
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Yeah, if the terms were competitive with Netflix, I'd leap in a second. You can have 3 movies at a time downloaded to your hard drive (download a new one and iTunes prompts you to erase one you've already seen). $17.99 a month. Unlimited downloads.
miloblithe is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:16 PM   #11
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscott306 View Post
I'll third that opinion. I'd much rather "rent" a movie from iTunes then drive to stinkin' blockbuster, or wait two days for the movie to come in from netflix.
I'd also note that with Netflix (and Blockbuster's clone thereof) the main wait you will have for "hot" movies is for them to just get the physical disks back in their distribution center when you are at the top of the queue to get the movie next. Especially if you get flagged by Netflix as a "demanding" customer (as opposed to the "only occasionally requests hot movies" customer), you can often wait weeks for a particular movie. You'll have a movie tomorrow, but it's not likely to be the one everyone else and their grandmother wants to see!

With downloads, that's not an issue. The bits are in plentiful supply, although I hear sometimes they clog the tubes because of all the spam trucks
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:20 PM   #12
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I know for a fact that Apple employees are contractually forbidden from engaging in forums such as these, and some have been fired for doing so (not releasing confidential information; for being active in online communities wherein confidential information might be being discussed). Although, many do lurk here under pseudonyms.
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:22 PM   #13
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

I'd prefer a model where I could pay £3 to "rent" a single movie for a few days/a week and have the option for a subscription service too, and you should also be able to buy the movie once you've downloaded it.
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:47 PM   #14
freiheit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscott306 View Post
I would also like to be able to rent movies and watch them right on my computer, given the poor performance of video playback in iTunes 7 I'd expect a significant rewrite of the code before I'd do it more than once.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:38 PM   #15
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

I just rent the movies from the store and copy em to my mac to watch when i feel like it. Like children of men, it took me tthree weeks to finally watch that movie but I didn't have to pay 40$ because of my renting habits.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:42 PM   #16
MrSmith
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
I just rent the movies from the store and copy em to my mac to watch when i feel like it. Like children of men, it took me tthree weeks to finally watch that movie but I didn't have to pay 40$ because of my renting habits.
In other words, get off your @rse and go down the rental shop. Might shed a few ounces.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion