Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 28, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Apple Mail won't send mail

I'm working on my mom's MBP. She's got four mailboxes; one .Mac, two Comcast, and one with 1and1. All four can receive mail, none of them can send.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:02 PM   #2
TheJayWay
macrumors member

I had this sort of problem when I first got my mac. I went back and forth with Shaw (isp) trying to figure it out, but couldn't really get anywhere. I finally just started playing with it, and later found out I had to turn Authentication off. I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but it sounds similar.
TheJayWay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3
jtuchelt
macrumors newbie

I would first make sure no settings have been changed in Mail>Preferences. If nothing has been changed most of the time it is still a settings issue, I would check your outgoing server port for each account that isn't sending(you do this by going into Mail>Preferences then click on the accounts tab, then the account information tab, and there should be a server settings button on the bottom of the page) by default the port is set to 25, you can change that number to 587 and see if mail sends after that.

If you are still having trouble here is a general article for being unable to send email: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/ml1041.html

And also any error messages you are getting would be helpful as well.
jtuchelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:22 PM   #4
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis View Post
I'm working on my mom's MBP. ... All four can receive mail, none of them can send.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?
You are leaving out some very important information. However, I bet dollars to donuts that you are trying to use your Mom's computer on a different domain than the one for which her SMTP server is setup. An SMTP server is the outgoing mail server. Most ISPs don't allow access to outside SMTP servers. This is to reduce the SPAM that originates on their domains. When traveling, you usually have to use your ISP's webmail client rather than POP3/IMAP clients like Mail.
MisterMe is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:35 PM   #5
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
You are leaving out some very important information. However, I bet dollars to donuts that you are trying to use your Mom's computer on a different domain than the one for which her SMTP server is setup. An SMTP server is the outgoing mail server. Most ISPs don't allow access to outside SMTP servers. This is to reduce the SPAM that originates on their domains. When traveling, you usually have to use your ISP's webmail client rather than POP3/IMAP clients like Mail.
Then why was it working last week? All four?
16 GB iPhone

Last edited by GFLPraxis; Apr 28, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:12 PM   #6
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuchelt View Post
I would first make sure no settings have been changed in Mail>Preferences. If nothing has been changed most of the time it is still a settings issue, I would check your outgoing server port for each account that isn't sending(you do this by going into Mail>Preferences then click on the accounts tab, then the account information tab, and there should be a server settings button on the bottom of the page) by default the port is set to 25, you can change that number to 587 and see if mail sends after that.

If you are still having trouble here is a general article for being unable to send email: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/ml1041.html

And also any error messages you are getting would be helpful as well.
Changing them all to port 587 fixed both Comcast accounts. Re-entering the .Mac details fixed .Mac. The 1and1 username and password were completely incorrect (m3998-something-something was the username, where the correct username should be the email), but that username is what has been working for the last year just fine.

Don't ask me why they all broke at once; everything worked over port 25 just great last week!

Thanks for the help!
16 GB iPhone
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:00 AM   #7
abyssus
macrumors newbie

Mac does a bad job of auto finding the right ports

So if your SMTP server requires SSL then manually set the port # to 465. If it doesn't need SSL then set it to 587 because generally port 25 is blocked quite often (lame ISP's mainly).

I had the same issue and manually set the port to 465 with SSL and it just worked like a charm. Not sure why Mail doesn't actually try all the ports...
abyssus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:52 PM   #8
ezweig
macrumors newbie

still can't send mail

Connection Doctor says my SMTP is ok, but MacMail still won't send mail from my Earthlink account. I tried changing ports, but that didn't work. I tried SSL, again no luck. I'm trying to send from my Earthlink address, but the error message says that I'm sending from my MobileMe address...even though the message says From: ix.netcom.com which is my Earthlink address...oh and it's smtpauth@earthlink.net - since I've turned off Authentication, I tried to leave out the auth, but no luck and if I keep Authentication, it asks for a password and rejects my password...any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance, Ellen
ezweig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:02 PM   #9
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezweig View Post
... I keep Authentication, it asks for a password and rejects my password...any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance, Ellen
Two things:
  • Try Port 587.
  • Use the proper password.
MisterMe is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store