Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Hey guys I've been using SMC fan control to monitor the temp of my MacBook Pro and I've noticed it gets quite hot and I'm forced to turn up the RPM.

Right now, I just have Safari open and have the MBP unplugged and I'm running at around 122-130 degrees Fahrenhet.

Earlier today I was rendering in Final Cut Pro with my MBP plugged in and I was hitting 207 degrees.

Should I be worried about this? I think I'm going to cook my laptop!

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys I've been using SMC fan control to monitor the temp of my MacBook Pro and I've noticed it gets quite hot and I'm forced to turn up the RPM.

Right now, I just have Safari open and have the MBP unplugged and I'm running at around 122-130 degrees Fahrenhet.

Earlier today I was rendering in Final Cut Pro with my MBP plugged in and I was hitting 207 degrees.

Sounds like a repair to me.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I could bring it to an Apple Store and have a genius check it out but it is the last thing id like to do.

Could there be some dust collecting in the laptop? Is it even possible for there to be dust in such a small enclosure?

Dust comes from everywhere... Check your fans to make sure there is nothing caught in there. Blow it out with compressed air. If that doesn't help take it to the genius bar. It sounds like you need your fans or entire ehating assembly replaced.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Mine idles at 120 or so with safari, messenger and itunes running. If I open a 100+ PS file or rendering a movie in AE, the fan kicks in at 165 but I've never seen it go beyond that. I'm using CoreDuoTemp for checking temperatures, so it might be different from yours.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Holy Crap 207!!!!
you can almost boil water at that temp, you computer should have shut off at a bit below that. it was a miss read.

what are your fan's rpm set at?

can you get a physical temp?

did you burn yourself when touched it?

just for a point of reference McDonalds coffee is 158.

And yes SMCfancontrol and coreduotemp use two different temp gauges, duotemp is processor and smc is ambient. (i might have those backwards but it doesn't matter)

for normal or average temps, the C2D run between 120 and 140, the CD's run between 140 and 160, that is without management.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Holy Crap 207!!!!
you can almost boil water at that temp, you computer should have shut off at a bit below that. it was a miss read.

what are your fan's rpm set at?

can you get a physical temp?

did you burn yourself when touched it?

just for a point of reference McDonalds coffee is 158.

And yes SMCfancontrol and coreduotemp use two different temp gauges, duotemp is processor and smc is ambient. (i might have those backwards but it doesn't matter)

for normal or average temps, the C2D run between 120 and 140, the CD's run between 140 and 160, that is without management.

I'm going to download coreduotemp and see what results I get.

It is hot to the touch and burns the crap out of my fingers when I'm doing some intense stuff.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ok just downloaded coreduotemp, temps are different, I'm ranging around 88 degrees Fahrenheit while with SMC it says I am around 113.

Phew, thats one less thing to be worried about.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Where is the laptop on? On a sofa or bed? I use top -u and Fan Control to watch everything. I set the fan at 3500 rpm and kill anything that goes out of control.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Man, you guys have problems. I'm using SMCFancontrol @ 4000RPM on a custom cooling pad (I've got a couple, check my post history for info) and I'm lucky to break 100F running anything. I don't even pass 110F running Photoshop and Word at the same time!

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville

Clean the fans.

I fried a hard drive in a hot portable once (not Apple).

It started running hot a second time. I took it to a repair guy who cleaned the fans and vents (trick was NOT to blow air the way I was doing it...). Anyway, when I got it home it ran quite and cooler just from getting all the dust out.

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
FF_, what happened to the Powerbook? hah

My MBP spikes to 170-180 when running FCP and Motion. average when running FCP is about 150. Then again, I am running clamshell so I'm not sure if that's a factor.

jbuckner

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
My MBP Coreduo 2.0 is running at 117 F with Safari and Mail open. It's a bit warm to the touch, but my fans stay on around 2600 rpm the whole time. Does this sound normal to you guys?

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
My MBP Coreduo 2.0 is running at 117 F with Safari and Mail open. It's a bit warm to the touch, but my fans stay on around 2600 rpm the whole time. Does this sound normal to you guys?

117F is definitely normal... however, the core duo MBP's fans idle at 1,000 rpm, so the elevated fans, while abnormal, are definitely keeping your notebook cool. plus, 2600 rpm shouldn't cause excessive wear and tear, so nothing to worry about in my opinion... I'm at 140F with fans at 1,000 rpm

ipaqowner

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006

Does anyone know of any freeware fan speed control progs I can use on my Core Duo 17" MacBook Pro while running Win XP Home under Bootcamp?.
It may be my imagination but since installing the battery update yesterday the casing of my MacBook (which always ran uncomfortably hot for my liking) seems a lot hotter.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does anyone know of any freeware fan speed control progs I can use on my Core Duo 17" MacBook Pro while running Win XP Home under Bootcamp?.
It may be my imagination but since installing the battery update yesterday the casing of my MacBook (which always ran uncomfortably hot for my liking) seems a lot hotter.

You want to use RMClock. It allows you to control the speed of the processor (and even underclock it).
And you also want to look at SpeedFan. It allows you to control the fan speed (although I am not sure if it will work with the partucular logic board the Mac's use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.