Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I figured a new forum needs a new VC thread.

I finally added Tecmo Bowl (NES), Dragon's Curse (TG16), and WonderBoy in Monsterland (Genesis) to my collection.

I wuv Dragon's Curse. I've spent about 4 hours just farming for coins and raising my character's charisma. :eek:

<]=)

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I recently added Punch-Out for a blast from the past. I still have to go purchase a points card for April/May to keep up with my $10/month VC allowance.

I've currently got

Zelda:Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Castlevania IV
Punch-Out

I'm a bit heavy on the SNES (but so far it's my favorite console ever with the Wii moving up the ranks quickly). If I had waited I would have gotten the original Castlevania but how could I know it would be out on Monday?

Too bad I don't have any time to play now that our second daughter is here. Things should settle out in a week or 4 and I might actually be able to finish Twilight Princess sometime this year.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World
Zelda
Zelda LttP
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Castlevania
Super Castlevania IV
Contra III: Alien Wars
Punchout
Kid Icarus

....still waiting on Zelda II :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Super Mario Bros
R-Type 1 & 3
Dragon Curse
Link to the Past
Mario World
Mario Kart 64
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Probotector

Can't wait for Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Majoras Mask, (fingers crossed) Commodore 64/Amiga games, Smash Bros, Mario Bros 3. :)

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Although it might be spamming, I highly recommend using the link in my sig to get free Wii points. I already got 2000. I'm sitting on enough Gaming Lagoon points for another 6000! :) They offer lots of other game accessories for all of the consoles, so I would appreciate it if you all would check it out :D

Anyways, my haul:

Super Mario Bros. because everybody has it.
Kirby's Adventure
F-Zero
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
StarFox 64

On my to do list:

Donkey Kong Country
Excite Bike
Legend of Zelda: LttP
Sonic the Hedgehog

Disappointed only 3 million games have been sold so far. Not as successful as iTunes ;)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Got my fourth free Wii Points card the other day. Can't wait for shining force!
Got Castlevania yesterday.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Disappointed only 3 million games have been sold so far. Not as cheap as iTunes ;)

Fixed that for you. :p
(emphasis mine)

I'm already jaded about buying games on Xbox Live and those throw in upgrades and added features.
Wii Shop channel...meh. Price drops or subscription based service is what I'd need to see before I took the plunge, I think. :confused: (neither likely to happen anytime soon I'm sure)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Free Wii points!!! :eek: Oh well, I missed something. :)

Most of my games are SNES also. I owned my SNES only for SF2, but did partialy play Zelda: LttP on it. Most of my gaming at that time was on the Genesis. If I could go back though, I would have bought a SNES earlier along with more games.

Here be me games again:
Contra 3
Dragon's Curse (Wonder Boy in Monsterland)
Dungeon Explorer
Gunstar Heros
Kirby's Adventure
R-Type 1 & 3
Street Fighter 2
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tecmo Bowl
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Zelda
ZeldaZ: LttP

<]=)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Let's see:

Super Mario Bros.
Sim City
F-Zero
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Donkey Kong
Mario Kart 64
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario World
Sonic The Hedgehog
Donkey Kong Country
Kirby's Adventure
Bomberman '93
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
Starfox 64
Mario Bros.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I'm new to the Wii - a whole day now.

I don't know much about the virtual console, can someone give me a quick overview of what it is?

I gather that you can download old games over the internet. How do you pay? Is that what the Wii points are for?

I am connected to the Internet with it, but I haven't established an account or anything yet.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I'm new to the Wii - a whole day now.

I don't know much about the virtual console, can someone give me a quick overview of what it is?

I gather that you can download old games over the internet. How do you pay? Is that what the Wii points are for?

I am connected to the Internet with it, but I haven't established an account or anything yet.

You can download a variety of old games from the NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, and others.

You use the Wii Points for purchasing these games and to get Wii Points, you would use your credit card to purchase them. This is all done in the shopping channel on your Wii.

When you purchase and download a game, it will show up as a channel on your main menu.

---

I noticed that a Mystical Ninja game has shown up on the virtual console. I really hope the N64 Mystical Ninja game shows up. I had fond memories of that game and I'd like to play it again sometime.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Europe tomorrow:

alexkiddxd3.gif
virtuafighter2vw7.gif
wonderboysr5.gif
shockmanvk9.gif

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Here's my list:

No high speed internet here so no VC for me. I would only buy a few but they would be Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda and Legend of Zelda:OoT

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
really wish they'd get Metriod, Contra, Super Metriod, Mario Party, ect out for VC....doesn't seem like we've gotten an AAA for a while!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What about Lylat Wars/Starfox :eek:

I am a little surprised to see the lack of a Metroid title though. They could at least give us the NES one and save Super Metroid for around Metroid Prime 3.

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
Here's what I have on VC...

Super Mario Bros.
ToeJam and Earl
Super Castlevania IV
Legend of Zelda
Columns
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Hockey
Street Fighter II

Wanting to add...
Excitebike
Punch Out

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
There are loads that I want. But what with coursework (even other MR guys who claim to "have not played much" are surpassing me!) and all my money going on printing I can't really afford these yet.

Frankly my dear there won't be enough Wii Channel pages to hold everything I want. :(

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Same here raggedjimmi about not enough channels. I read a blurb that Nintendo is working on a USB storage solution. I hope that it will add more channels and not just become another backup device like the SD card.

I played Phantasy Star IV on a Sega Nomad. :D I was bummed when I found out it wasn't part of my GBA Phantasy Star collection. Phantasy Star 2 is my all time favorite console RPG, mainly for nostalgic reasons. Anyway, the only Phantasy Star I haven't completed, not counting the newer 3D stuff, was PS III. I played most of the way at my friends, then his brother finished it.

<]=)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I really can't play the 2D Fantasy Star games, my bro had a compilation of them for GBA and each one (whilst having lovely graphics) didn't pull me in. Seems a little less user friendly than classic Final Fantasy games. Haven't got around to playing any of the 3D ones :eek:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Yep, definitely not as user friendly compared to FF series, but they also had a bit less cheese. :p

I had forgot how confusing some of the dungeons were in PS2. But when I first played it, the game came with a strategy guide which helped to alleviate the frustration.

Anyway, I played PS2 to the point that my main character could cast the bestest best spell (Megid) 3 times before taking on Mother Brain. I was trying to get to a point that my one guy could take her on, but she had a sleep spell which made that impossible.

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.