Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
I have just started mucking about with iMovie, doing some stuff with the stacks of camcorder tapes that have been piling up and want to export them to avi so that I can play them via my xbox media centre machine. What are a decent set of export settings to get a good quality video out?

Cheers

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I have just started mucking about with iMovie, doing some stuff with the stacks of camcorder tapes that have been piling up and want to export them to avi so that I can play them via my xbox media centre machine. What are a decent set of export settings to get a good quality video out?

Cheers

If no on e else answers, i will supply one of my own opinion tonight when I'm in front of my mac.

Brian

elvirav

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
California, off and on.
I would export at "full quality" or using "Expert settings" I'd choose uncompressed, compression "none" or Animation. The resulting file will be HUGE if you choose uncompressed "none" or animation.

Then open this uncompressed video (or full quality video—which I think is DV) in another editor (MPEG Streamclip or DivX encoder) and convert to AVI. I'm not sure what codec you want to use. DivX? (I don't know what xbox uses.)

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I would export at "full quality" or using "Expert settings" I'd choose uncompressed, compression "none" or Animation. The resulting file will be HUGE if you choose uncompressed "none" or animation.

Then open this uncompressed video (or full quality video—which I think is DV) in another editor (MPEG Streamclip or DivX encoder) and convert to AVI. I'm not sure what codec you want to use. DivX? (I don't know what xbox uses.)

I'm trying it with the default settings if you do Share>>Quicktime>>Expert Settings>> (Select AvI from dropdown to left of options) >> (Click Options and then move slider to Best) Should be preset to 90 KB/s.

My Best advice, is take a small clip and share it with different settings, and see what changing them does to the clip, if anything noticeable, then adjust accordingly. Remember without some fancy filters and re-rendering, you will not get a clip to look better than the source file.

Okay so 90 KB/s is cruddy...go with something higher by at least three.

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.