Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tango554

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2007
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=10715

Says that its "System Requirements
• IBM® or compatible PC
• Windows® 98, 2000, Me, XP, Vista
• USB port

i'm gonna be using this mouse for photoshop and final cut, its gotta be precise. I like this mouse, but will it work as nicely on mac since its not officially supported? I'm sure if i plug it in, it'll work, but will everything work as well as if it were on a PC?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
don't have the G5, but from my experience, everything logitech has worked with the basic functions. usb, bluetooth, corded, etc (keyboards, mice, sets) even when not listing Mac compatibility.

what i expect is that you would need the logitech software to configure the extra buttons. that is, i'm guessing the mouse would work like any other 3 button usb mouse, but all of the special features will not. i wonder if you would be able to switch to the higher dpi without the software? would love to hear if you get this and what the outcome is.

tango554

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2007
I got the logitech g5 today.

The lack of mac drivers is a piss-me-off. Without the drivers, all you can do is left/right click, scroll up and down and change the dpi via dedicated buttons. You can't customize anything, scroll left or right or re-assign the many buttons.

Installing USB Overdrive solves 99% of problems. The dedicated DPI buttons stop controlling DPI, but the software allows you to assign all the buttons (also as keystrokes) and change the DPI via software. You can also have unique profiles for different programs, so if your program allows dpi adjustment via keystrokes, problem solved. Warning: do not install logitech drivers found on Apple's website. They'll mess up overdrive.

Personal opinion:
I don't really have any complaints. I suppose on-the-fly DPI adjustment could be cool if you're switching constantly from photoshop, gaming and general use (and you're anal-retentive). I don't play games and find them much more useful as cut and paste. I like the single thumb button (im a simple creature, two gets me confused), so the G5 button setup is good for me.

Mouse works well for general computer use and performed fine with photoshop. The DPI adjustment might help delicate tasks, but really not a big deal. If you are anal-retentive about DPI, prefer two thumb buttons and/or left-handed, the G5 may not be for you.

Overall, im happy with the purchase. I am using it on a wood desk, without skipping. It "feels" well-built, comfortable and not cheap in your hand. Its ergonomic for righties, without being TOO ergonomic. The details is what sets this mouse apart. The weights are not necessary, but a cool gimmick nonetheless. I'll admit it, I wasted 5 minutes getting it JUST right! The braided cord is also nice touch. I hate apple mice and used only microsoft in the past. For now? I'll stick with the logitech. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.