Roxio Releases Roxio Crunch for Apple TV - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 8, 2007, 09:40 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Roxio Releases Roxio Crunch for Apple TV

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Roxio Releases Roxio Crunch for Apple TV
Description:: Roxio released Roxio Crunch, a software application for quickly and easily converting computer-based video entertainment for viewing in the living room through Apple TV.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 8, 2007, 09:52 AM   #2
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Would be good if it actually converted the stuff we wanted to convert. i.e. Commercial (encrypted) DVDs.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old May 8, 2007, 09:54 AM   #3
iKwick7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
Would be good if it actually converted the stuff we wanted to convert. i.e. Commercial (encrypted) DVDs.
Doesn't Handbrake do that?
Old May 8, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4
jholzner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
Just rip the DVD with mactheripper first and then convert the Video_TS folder with Crunch. There is nothing they can do about the legal issues with ripping copy protected DVDs.
jholzner is offline   0
Old May 8, 2007, 10:05 AM   #5
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholzner View Post
Just rip the DVD with mactheripper first and then convert the Video_TS folder with Crunch. There is nothing they can do about the legal issues with ripping copy protected DVDs.
Its too much of a pain. I'd rather just Handbrake it. Although I am open to alternatives if anything comes close. Also MTR is not always successful when ripping. I have many backups that fail to work properly and some just refuse to play.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old May 8, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6
steviem
macrumors 68020

Whats wrong with VLC?
steviem is offline   0
Old May 8, 2007, 11:42 AM   #7
impierced
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
Whats wrong with VLC?
I like cheese.
impierced is offline   0
Old May 8, 2007, 05:14 PM   #8
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes View Post

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Roxio Releases Roxio Crunch for Apple TV
Description:: Roxio released Roxio Crunch, a software application for quickly and easily converting computer-based video entertainment for viewing in the living room through Apple TV.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
Aside from using another tool to de-css the contents of the disk and then using Crunch to AppleTV-ize it (which would be ... umm ... just as easy to do using the single third tool which both de-css's and re-encodes the content all by itself) ... I see no use for this product. At all.

I mean, it seems to be (legally anyway) aimed at people to convert their home-made DVDs to AppleTV videos. BUT, you'd think, that if they made the DVD themselves they'd be able to flip the switch in the original iMovie or whatever project to write out as AppleTV format. I suppose this might work for someone who made a DVD, erased the source material, and now wants to watch that DVD on their AppleTV instead of the DVD player sitting right next to it. But ... wow, what a miniscule market that must be!

Amazes me that this software got greenlit. They obviously have too much time on their hands!
jettredmont is offline   0
Old May 9, 2007, 11:10 AM   #9
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

I guess the whole Apple TV thing is *only* for iTunes Movies, and that's where it ends, and where all these rather unique apps are beginning. It's analogous to having the Airport Express only play iTMS songs.

Why is the Airport Express so simply great, yet Apple TV is so horribly limited, and surprisingly, doesn't bother including Airport Express technology so you can't even play music to your stereo through the Apple TV, without involving the TV.

I pretty much have nothing but bad things to say about the Apple TV, and I guess it's all got to do with what lawyers say is legal. The Ae is awesome though (plus 1 awesome point if i could hook a HD up to it)

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion