Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1
kobai
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Logo design needed

Hey there, firstly I am new to these forums (well, posting anyway) so hello

I am looking for a logo to be designed for a new multi protocol IM client I am developing. I am useless at grpahical design, so therefore require someone else to complete this. Due to lack of fundings (being a student) I cannot pay someone to do this for me. Any recommendations of somewhere I can get a logo, or ideas of alternative solutions would be greatfully accepted.

The program itself current supports only MSN messenger (without some harder features like AV, winks etc... but i feel msn without winks would be a great thing .. ). My aim is to also implement other protocols in the near future, and work has begun on Yahoo messeging. I am also looking to incorporate an IRC client i designed a year or so ago for a coursework piece. IT is also a fully cocoa app with quite a nice interface i feel. More information and scrrenshots will follow when i complete some more of the yahoo client side
kobai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601
 
iMeowbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Are you planning for this to be a freeware (or open source) client, or a commercial offering? Where you are going with this will make a difference as to who might be willing to help you.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 10:17 AM   #3
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
www.logolibrary.co.uk for ideas.

You wont get many responses here asking for people to work for free. Try asking some design students at your uni/school most would be more than willing to help as its kind of like their first job.

Just to put things in perspective I usually charge around £500/$1000 for a logo and basic stationery set. And that is very cheap.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
wheezy
macrumors 65816
 
wheezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alpine, UT
No one on here works for free or cheap because everyone is an amazing expert that is way to busy for trivial things like kindness. Okay, that's a blanket statement, but....

I'd love to help you out, I haven't made a Mac'esque type Logo/Icon yet and would love to give it a shot. You can reach me at my website below. And since working for Free is taboo, I'll do it for a dollar.
__________________
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 i7, 16GB, OWC 120GB SSD+750GB HDD * iPhone 4S 16GB White
Canon 7D * 17-40 F4L, 135 F2L, 50 1.4 USM * PCB Einstein
personal / 500px / web design
wheezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5
alexgti
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Happy To Help

I'll happily help you out for free. If you want to talk feel free to send me your email (via private messaging if you wish).
alexgti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6
JasonElise1983
macrumors 6502a
 
JasonElise1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Between a rock and a midget
would be happy to help. does your software have a name?
JasonElise1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Poopface Morty
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgti View Post
I'll happily help you out for free. If you want to talk feel free to send me your email (via private messaging if you wish).
Can I assume that the software you are working with is pirated?

The results you are going to get from getting someone to do unpaid work will in all likelihood be very lousy.
Poopface Morty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 12:25 PM   #8
JasonElise1983
macrumors 6502a
 
JasonElise1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Between a rock and a midget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
Can I assume that the software you are working with is pirated?

The results you are going to get from getting someone to do unpaid work will in all likelihood be very lousy.
I know your statement wan't targeted at me, but I disagree. I pay for my software, but still don't mind helping someone out every once in a while. No, i'm not going to spend as much time on it as i would a paid client, but at the end of the day, it's more than just money to me. it's about doing good work, and not being ashamed of anything i put out. I do'nt care if it's $0 or $2000, i still want it to be worth having my name associated with it. Does that always happen? no. But that is what i go for, so i don't think blanket statements like the one you made work here. I do value my work, but above all, i value the idea of not wanting someone to settle on crap because they can't afford any better. maybe that's just me.

-JE
JasonElise1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:50 PM   #9
virus1
macrumors 65816
 
virus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LOST
Assuming this client will be free, I would be glad to help you out. You may want to see a link to my only past design here.

Look everybody, I am a student as well and I have no reason to not help out here. Sure I could get some money for it, but not the opportunity for some experience and to help somebody out, and to broaden my portfolio, and to get my name around. People donate work all the time, and telling others that nobody will help them does nothing, especially when it's not true.
__________________
No, really. I completely understand you. (Pay no attention to my 'tar)

Last edited by virus1; Jul 26, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
virus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:53 PM   #10
wheezy
macrumors 65816
 
wheezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alpine, UT
Deleted by me, it wasn't very nice.

The best things in life are free. Try it. Money comes and goes, when you die it all stays here. I'll happily deliver the best product I can whether it was free or not, if my name is on it, it's gotta look my best. Perhaps a future big-rolling client needs a designer and sees my free work I did for someone, wouldn't wanna turn that away because I delivered crap.
__________________
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 i7, 16GB, OWC 120GB SSD+750GB HDD * iPhone 4S 16GB White
Canon 7D * 17-40 F4L, 135 F2L, 50 1.4 USM * PCB Einstein
personal / 500px / web design

Last edited by wheezy; May 9, 2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: It was mean, and there are pre-school toys present.
wheezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040
 
Sdashiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Behind the lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
Can I assume that the software you are working with is pirated?

The results you are going to get from getting someone to do unpaid work will in all likelihood be very lousy.
Wow. Just cuz you might not want to do it for free doesnt mean someone else wont.

I know I wont do it for free cuz I cant do it at all!

Well, I could, I just dont want to.

And what does pirating software have to do with anything in this thread?
__________________
The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
- B. F. Skinner

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 08:22 AM   #12
Poopface Morty
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Considering the industry standard software for logo design illustration programs like Illustrator costs more than just a couple of bucks, and the hardware to run the software likewise, not to mention the training or experience behind effective logo design, it would be more than just a little unwise to charge for free. Most people that tend to work for free because 'it's just so fun' are hobbyists who didn't pay the full price for their software, if at all.

I think some of you need to take a trip on over to www.no-spec.com and take a read. Despite the similar nature of art and design, design is a business. Doing work for free for the opportunity for experience shows a great amount of naivety, as well as a lack of confidence in your own work, not to mention the idea that most big-money rolling clients probably won't take someone seriously who isn't charging for their work (think about it, why would they?). It only perpetuates the idea that designer's do this merely for fun. Designer's have a need to eat too; I can't pay for food on satisfaction of a job well done.

I've heard nothing but the same idealistic comments from many young designers, and unfortunately that train of thought gets those same designers into a jaded mindset and they wind up changing careers.
Poopface Morty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 06:56 PM   #13
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040
 
ezekielrage_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I did plently of free work when I was at university, it's a good was of getting recognised as a serious designer/developer. Plus you can put the finished work on your portfolio.
__________________
"There is a world elsewhere" - Coriolanus
ezekielrage_99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:29 PM   #14
virus1
macrumors 65816
 
virus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LOST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopface Morty View Post
Considering the industry standard software for logo design illustration programs like Illustrator costs more than just a couple of bucks, and the hardware to run the software likewise, not to mention the training or experience behind effective logo design, it would be more than just a little unwise to charge for free. Most people that tend to work for free because 'it's just so fun' are hobbyists who didn't pay the full price for their software, if at all.

I think some of you need to take a trip on over to www.no-spec.com and take a read. Despite the similar nature of art and design, design is a business. Doing work for free for the opportunity for experience shows a great amount of naivety, as well as a lack of confidence in your own work, not to mention the idea that most big-money rolling clients probably won't take someone seriously who isn't charging for their work (think about it, why would they?). It only perpetuates the idea that designer's do this merely for fun. Designer's have a need to eat too; I can't pay for food on satisfaction of a job well done.

I've heard nothing but the same idealistic comments from many young designers, and unfortunately that train of thought gets those same designers into a jaded mindset and they wind up changing careers.
Say what you'd like about it, but the fact remains that there are talented designers out there willing to do some work for free. (Regardless of how they got their software or if they are naive)
__________________
No, really. I completely understand you. (Pay no attention to my 'tar)
virus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 07:46 AM   #15
shecky
Guest
 
shecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Obviously you're not a golfer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus1 View Post
Say what you'd like about it, but the fact remains that there are talented designers out there willing to do some work for free.
and if you look at how much free work is done that actually does not look like crap, i think you will find that the number is EXTREMELY tiny.
shecky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 08:14 AM   #16
Poopface Morty
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
and if you look at how much free work is done that actually does not look like crap, i think you will find that the number is EXTREMELY tiny.
Exactly. More often than not the work is amateurish at best, typically places where you will find logos with gradients, bevels, lens flares, and any other photoshop filter the user felt like applying. Of course, that's just an example, sometimes the logo may have been done in Illustrator but still looks bad.
Poopface Morty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 09:03 AM   #17
virus1
macrumors 65816
 
virus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LOST
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
and if you look at how much free work is done that actually does not look like crap, i think you will find that the number is EXTREMELY tiny.
I agree, but the principle remains the same.
__________________
No, really. I completely understand you. (Pay no attention to my 'tar)
virus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logo Design denm316 Design and Graphics 25 Aug 2, 2012 10:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC