Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hey friends,

Kind of a simple question, my friend asked me a Mac question and I couldn't answer it! She has an automator script that fetches daily National Geographic photos and makes them her desktop picture. However, she has to click on the script every day for it to function. Is there a way to make it silently run itself on a daily basis?

Thanks!

-E Ro

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
In ical, make a daily event. then set an alarm, and select run script.

thanks for the suggestion, i did think of that... I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve cluttering up iCal with a daily event.

any other ideas?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
thanks for the suggestion, i did think of that... I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve cluttering up iCal with a daily event.

any other ideas?

You could make it it's own calendar and then hide the calendar, so you wouldn't see it.

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
For a relatively easy to use front end to cron (the built-in Unix task-scheduling daemon), download the freeware program CronniX.

http://www.abstracture.de/projects-en/cronnix

I used this to set up my daily stuff, like a script that runs at 2 every morning to quit and relaunch a program (URLWell) that doesn't save its settings except on quit. Works like a charm.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
somehow my post was not sent completly.. :(
here's the missing part of my first reply:

open a terminal.. and run

Code:
crontab -e

that will open an editor to .. edit.. your crontab file.
a crontab file has a strict formating.. the first part of every line describes at what time it runs:

Code:
# Use the hash sign to prefix a comment
# +---------------- minute (0 - 59)
# |  +------------- hour (0 - 23)
# |  |  +---------- day of month (1 - 31)
# |  |  |  +------- month (1 - 12)
# |  |  |  |  +---- day of week (0 - 7) (Sunday=0 or 7)
# |  |  |  |  |
# *  *  *  *  *  command to be executed

for example:
Code:
0 0 * * * /Users/User_Name/superscript
will run the script named superscript at 24 hours everyday.. the first 0 is the minute it should run. if you want it to run every 30 mins, you can write "0,30" instead of 0. The second 0, is the hour to run. the three * means to run the script every day of month, month, day of week.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
For a relatively easy to use front end to cron (the built-in Unix task-scheduling daemon), download the freeware program CronniX.

http://www.abstracture.de/projects-en/cronnix

I used this to set up my daily stuff, like a script that runs at 2 every morning to quit and relaunch a program (URLWell) that doesn't save its settings except on quit. Works like a charm.

ooooh.. that's a nice app, thanks for the link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.