Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in the process of reorganising my photo's in Aperture (Moving them to different, more relevant projects etc.) and have my photo's referenced in folders on my Macbook. (not in the Aperture Library) All my folders have been created when I import photo's from my camera into Aperture, therefore the folders have the same name as the project.

When I move a master from one project to the next, I have to go into Finder and manually move the photo to the relevant folder as well so I can keep everything nice and organised there as well in case I need to get access to my photo's outside Aperture.

My question, is there a way to have Aperture move the file for me? Or am I always going to have to do it this way? Or is there an easier way for me to go about organising my library?

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
I'm in the process of reorganising my photo's in Aperture (Moving them to different, more relevant projects etc.) and have my photo's referenced in folders on my Macbook. (not in the Aperture Library) All my folders have been created when I import photo's from my camera into Aperture, therefore the folders have the same name as the project.

When I move a master from one project to the next, I have to go into Finder and manually move the photo to the relevant folder as well so I can keep everything nice and organised there as well in case I need to get access to my photo's outside Aperture.

My question, is there a way to have Aperture move the file for me? Or am I always going to have to do it this way? Or is there an easier way for me to go about organising my library?

You can tell Aperture to 'relocate masters' and it'll move the referenced files for you (before or after putting them in their new projects). Don't have Aperture handy, so I don't know what menu it's in -- can probably get to it with a right-click.

As for better ways to organize your library, hard to say without knowing exactly what it's like now and what you're trying to do. Why not just import each shoot into its own project, then sort those projects into different folders?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.