Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 10, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1
dshootist
macrumors member

G5 temperature sensor issues...

I've been looking for a thread about this, but haven't been able to find one, so if anyone knows of one let me know.

The problem is a dual 2GHz machine that I've got keeps shutting down due to being too hot when processing large files in Photoshop, Illustrator or Quark. Since it's just out of warranty, is there anything that I can do to fix the issue? Currently running 10.4.9 and CS2 with Quark 6.5. Hoping for something that doesn't cost as much as a new Volvo...
dshootist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
epochblue
macrumors 68000

That seems strange....are all the fans working?
Old May 10, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Shotgun OS
macrumors 6502a

Well, my 2.1 GHZ iMac G5 had a similar problem. Instead or shutting down, though, it just immeadiately went to sleep.
Do you know if the machine is actually overheating, or if the computer thinks it is overheating?

15" Macbook Pro | White iPad 2 | 32 GB iPod touch 3rd Gen | 30 GB iPod 5th Gen | iMac G5 (retired) | Blackbook (retired) | Silver iPod Mini 4GB (retired)
Shotgun OS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4
dshootist
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epochblue View Post
That seems strange....are all the fans working?
Yes, the fans work, but only during "normal" usage. They're a bit on the loud side, but it's when the heavy PS stuff gets going that it gets wonky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun OS View Post
Well, my 2.1 GHZ iMac G5 had a similar problem. Instead or shutting down, though, it just immeadiately went to sleep.
Do you know if the machine is actually overheating, or if the computer thinks it is overheating?
I don't think the machine is heating up more than any other box in our shop; I've done file comparisons, so my guess is the sensor is off. This one won't shut down either, but rather go dark for a few seconds and need some movement from an input device. How did you fix your iMac?
dshootist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help