Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 10, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Study: iPods can make pacemakers malfunction

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Study: iPods can make pacemakers malfunction
Description:: Electrical interference was detected half of the time when the iPod was held just 2 inches from the patient's chest for 5 to 10 seconds.

The study did not examine any portable music devices other than iPods, which are made by Apple Inc.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 10, 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Sounds like they need to build better pacemakers.
Old May 10, 2007, 10:22 PM   #3
ModestPenguin
macrumors 6502

how about cellphones? Zunes? Digital Camera's?

My money says they all do it.
ModestPenguin is offline   0
Old May 10, 2007, 11:07 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G4

This high school science project, which tested only one device and probably didn't even have a control group (a turned off device) is headlines news on CNN because it has the word "iPod."
nagromme is online now   0
Old May 11, 2007, 01:41 AM   #5
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
This high school science project, which tested only one device and probably didn't even have a control group (a turned off device) is headlines news on CNN because it has the word "iPod."
You know, one of the docs did say that this requires further study. As they should. And yes, it's entirely logical to think that other portable electronic devices within a 2-inch proximity to a patient's chest can affect their pacemakers.

Betcha someone's going to make a special fancy iPod case to block the EM interference...

EDIT: Am willing to concede the lack of mention of a study group to be off-putting, but that may be an omission by the reporter instead of an omission by the study. I'd bug CNN about it, but I'm lazy.
Old May 11, 2007, 02:04 AM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4

Me calling it a high school science project was not a snide insult--that's what it actually was Albeit with a real institution involved.
nagromme is online now   0
Old May 11, 2007, 02:16 AM   #7
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
I'd imagine any device that causes the wearer to breakdance every so often could have implications on pacemakers.

Perhaps we should just ban the elderly and sick. Not from iPods, just in general!
Old May 11, 2007, 06:32 AM   #8
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000

Well the solution is obvious:

The iPaceMaker.

A heart beat regulator with built in 4Gb flash MP3 player. And when you close your eyes, you can see your iPhoto library.

The headphones plug into your left nipple.
Old May 11, 2007, 08:03 AM   #9
jayducharme
macrumors 68010

Also note the phrase "electrical interference was detected half the time." In other words, there's a 50/50 chance of an iPod causing interference. This doesn't really seem like major news (especially coming from a high school student's somewhat incomplete experiment).

Perhaps Microsoft's Zune sales are hurting and they needed something else to counteract iPod sales.
jayducharme is offline   0
Old May 11, 2007, 08:13 AM   #10
cmcconkey
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to cmcconkey
Hmmmm very interesting to me.

I am a pacemaker patient and have been an iPod user for about 3 years now. I have had no problems but I also don't hold my iPod in the area of my pacemaker. I have had a pacemaker since I was 3, I am soon to be 29.

In an earlier post someone also asked about cell phones. There is a warning that you shouldn't use your cell phone with the ear closest to your pacemaker and it should also not be carried within 6 inches of the pacemaker. For most younger pacemaker patients this could be a problem with both devices. pacemaker are put into the abdomen area of most patients under the age of 13 and older patients have it in the pectoral area of the chest since at your teen years you start to develop some added protection in this area.

I haven't yet read the whole article but this one really peaks my interest since I am directly affected by this study.

Christopher
Old May 12, 2007, 05:54 PM   #11
joepunk
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to joepunk
Let's all buy this guy an iPod!

And this revolutionary finding proves at last that the iPod is, in fact, an electronic device. Thanks, Jay!

Which gives Wonkette an idea...
Attached Images

Flickr
joepunk is offline   0
Old May 12, 2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Mistershark
macrumors regular

So that's one place that you can't "put some music on".

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion