Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One additional tidbit from Apple's shareholder meeting notes was a revealing blurb that Apple still hadn't completely decided whether or not they will open the iPhone to 3rd party developers.

Jobs did acknowledge that the company is still struggling to decide if third-party developers will be able to create software that will run on the iPhone. It’s a decision Apple “is wrestling with,” according to Jobs.

Apple's choice to limit iPhone development has been the target of a lot of criticism against the iPhone. In the days after the iPhone announcement, Jobs stated that while you will be able to purchase and install additional applications on the iPhone, that this would be limited and in a "controlled environment". As a result, the iPhone has been described as a "closed device" which could make enterprise market penetration difficult.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If Apple refuses to allow 3rd party apps, they better come up with some cool stuff in the future. But taking it that the iPhone runs OSX, it would almost be a waste to not allow 3rd party apps to go into the iPhone.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I think they should open it up, but just do it right. C'mon Apple, become the cell phone juggernaut like MS is with windows.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
If they made the OS right, they should have no problems opening it up. I mean, look at OS X, you can install tons of apps and it is still pretty hard to screw up vs. windows.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
I don't see how they can avoid it. The iPhone is going to start a whole new thing that will have compitition. The phone market is going to be a harder market to gain in than music players were. And you can be certain that the competition will have open platforms to write application and services. Does Apple want to compete against all that alone?

I think the iPhone needs to be looked at as a new platform. It's way more than a phone. The Internet communication part of this device is far more important than the phone, but it gets the least attention. It's the internet and the services that will grow up around the iPhone that will matter most.

Jouten

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
Alaska
I hope so

I hope Apple garners alot of 3rd party software developer support! It could rub off on to other hardware, like the computers and iPods.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't WIDGETS in OS X essentially already a platform for 3rd party stuff??? Macworld Widget, Lava Lamp Widget...:)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Regardless, the processor in an iPhone appears to be ARM, not PPC or x86. No existing OS X apps will run unless recompiled for ARM. It would be great if Apple gives developers tools to do that.

It's a matter of two different strategies for a phone: make a rock-solid appliance or make a flexible platform. BOTH have real advantages.

I personally want to be able to install anything anyone comes up with!

On the other, hand for MOST phone users, rock-solid stability with ALL apps ALWAYS working alike is very important. Install some 3rd party app that crashes or accidentally messes with voicemail notification, and the iPhone experience is harmed. SOME of us can deal with that, but MOST people are best served by stability. An iPod is more stable than a Mac in part BECAUSE it is closed to third parties. And what about when Apple adds features or tweaks the OS, as the clearly plan to do? Updates would sometimes break 3rd-party apps and make iPhone customers unhappy. I wouldn't blame them for not opening these cans of worms.

I hope, though, that they find some compromise in the midd;e. Like letting advanced users unlock the phone to app installation, with a huge disclaimer. Or pre-screening all apps, requiring them to be done within strict requirements and allowing only the very best to be installed. Or allowing HTML-based widgets and nothing more. Or something that keeps the iPhone 110% stable while leaving some flexibility too.

(And remember that the iPhone is in many ways making a NEW niche with new rules, not necessarily trying to be a Blackberry or Palm replacement in their same existing markets.)

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
A limited open phone might be good...

They could always start with a limited approach, like partnering with a few select companies. After all, they dont want to have people calling in to apple support everytime some 3rd party widget screws up their phone especially if phone communications is critical part of a business.

I think overall opening it up a bit to 3rd party apps might motivate people to buy an iphone. :)

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
The Internet communication part of this device is far more important than the phone, but it gets the least attention. It's the internet and the services that will grow up around the iPhone that will matter most.

How I'd love to be at an Estate Sale with an iphone, checking out current Ebay auction prices for stuff.

The internet on that thing looks so very cool.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If they made the OS right, they should have no problems opening it up. I mean, look at OS X, you can install tons of apps and it is still pretty hard to screw up vs. windows.

"Pretty hard to screw up" is not good enough for a phone. I want my phone to be stable like my iPod--which NEVER fails. Not stable like my Mac which ALMOST never fails. At least when some game or utility crashes on my Mac, once in a blue moon, it doesn't stop me from getting a call that was arriving.

There's no foolproof way to open an OS to total freedom of app installation. There may, I hope, be some reasonable limits that allow SOME freedom.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I think it could be the difference between a cool phone that will sell well initially and a great phone that will sell by the bucketload to business through 3rd party business mini-apps. Each business have their own specific needs, and the ability for small developers to provide mini-apps tailored to clients could make a huge difference. My brother makes a product for WindowsCE, which makes it useful for certain businesses where there otherwise would not be a need for such expensive devices; for sales people in the field and stock control alike, syncing with the central database on the go.
As my brother has said; the iPhone is irrelevant unless it allows 3rd party apps. Well, that's his vieew as a Windows person, but if Apple encouraged 3rd party developers, and his customers asked them to tailor their product for iPhones, then they would become OSX developers all of a sudden, selling hundreds of units with their product installed.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Nagromme makes some good points. The dell axim I use is a pain. We've had our apps upgraded several times because they were seriously dragging performance down. Stability is a serious issue and they would need to keep some kind of quality control on 3rd party apps at least at the begining...

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
They could always start with a limited approach, like partnering with a few select companies.
That's pretty much what their stated position has been to date; a few select 3rd party apps approved my apple. The question is whether to open it up more, to allow "non-official" apps to be installed. I think yes, provided a certain level of quality control is maintained, and the system can deal with misbehaving apps, so the phone itself doesn't crash, just the 3rd-party app. Hence people will know who to blame.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
i think jobs is being coy so he can make a big announcement at the WWDC.

i don't think we'll get full fledged apps, but rather a second generation dashboard widget. i know people write of widgets as just html/javascript, but they're pretty powerful considering they can interact with objective-c and command line utilities.

who knows maybe this new internet plugin apple's been developing will be part of it.

dashboard already plays in its own separate sandbox...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I find it interesting that 3rd party development is such an issue for a device with no market penetration. None of this excitement is associated with the Mac, what with all its cool technologies which has MORE of a market share no matter how small.

But maybe its something to do with the simplicity of the iPhone device, it being small and confined, apps won't be as large of course as they would be on the Mac.

I wish there was this much hoopla over Mac software development.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
so what 3rd party apps do you guys want? at first i was really into/disappointed with the whole no 3rd party thing... then i started to think what apps would i really want on my phone and was surprised at how few i really did want/need.

• ibiz mini - something for those rare occasions when i'm out at a client so i can keep track of my time
  • skype - or ichat mobile with VOIP
  • keynote presenter - hardware/software combo; load up your keynote, hook up a small widget to the projector. iphone beams the keynote to the widget.
  • alias sketchbook mini - pared down version.. maybe called alias fingerpaint
  • omni outline
  • ?tv remote

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I'd be surprised if we were to see an open 3rd party ecosystem or "real" native appps, but I wouldn't be shocked to either see widgets on steroids or some sort of sandboxed managed code solution. I just hope it's opened to all, not just a handful of partners like the iPod is.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
If it crashes like my Blackberry I'll be bummed

It is pretty anoying when my Blackberry crashes due to a third party app -- ususally right when you want to make a call.

The reboot is twice as long -- at least -- as my G5 Quad.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
I can't imagine that Jobs cares about this since people have complained about it. Popular sentiment has never seemed to deter Apple before. I bet it's at&t pushing it since they want the big corporate accounts with iPhone, or any other reason that they might want a more open environment for it.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Apple may not necessarily be able to make the decision as it could be made for them. There are a few other phones with similar looks etc coming to the market shortly, if they are open and there are plenty of apps created for them then the market may ignore the iPhone unless Apple opens it up.

Definately it is not a simple/easy decision to make and I won't criticize Apple for not rushing it, the closed environment ensures the users experience is the best possible by way of stability, an open environment allows the device to be used to its full potential.

If nothing else hopefully the current games for iPod are easily ported over to the iPhone so there are some apps ready regardless of their business function.

Also, the phone networks will want an open platform of some sort so at least in the USA they can charge a decent amount of $$$ for the uer to download content.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
They definately need to open it up. Sure, apple makes great software, but they can't cover 100% of every user's needs. Imagine if we could only run apple software on our mac. We would be able to do the basic stuff, but we would be missing out on so much more.

Apple needs to have faith in their developers. There are so many great third party mac devs, and I'm sure they are full of great ideas to implement on the iphone. GTD apps, google calendar syncing, ftp clients, IM clients etc etc.

If it's truely "running OS X" like they say, it should be simple to add support to cocoa apps. This would also limit the developers to the more experienced mac developers (which in my opinion, generally have higher quality standards than your average MS .NET developer), and I'm sure we will see before long a huge 3rd party following.
The 3rd party software market for the iPhone has the potential to be bigger than the 3rd party accessory market for the iPod.

I'm hoping Apple makes a formal announcement at WWDC, embracing mac developers, and adding an official iPhone SDK to Xcode 3.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
We need to run Microsoft Office, Eudora Mail and some other applications in the iPhone. That is a must for us or else we will look elsewhere! Best of all if they run as native applications using the same native files used on any Mac. That coupled with wireless presentation capabilities will make the iPhone a best seller, even having a model without phone capatibilites but having the other features. We will purchase thousands for our University.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
I reckon it'll be like iPod games and widgets - they have to go through Apple. I know I'd rather play Pac Man or bowling or whatever on an iPhone than an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.