Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old May 11, 2007, 01:53 AM   #1
localoid
macrumors 68020

MRT attempts to foil stream ripping, blames Apple and others...

Media Rights Technologies (MRT) has filed Cease and Desist letters against Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and Real, claiming that Vista, Adobe Flash Player, Real Player, iTunes and the iPod have been produced “without regard for the DMCA or the rights of American Intellectual Property owners.”

MRT’s X1 SeCure Recording Control has proven effective against stream ripping, the company said in a statement, and these companies have been “actively avoiding the use of MRT’s technologies.”

The rest of the story...

("Nuts.")
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 08:26 AM   #2
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I guess frivolous lawsuits are cheaper and more effective than a marketing campaign these days..
Old May 11, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
robbieduncan

So let me get this straight. A large number of technology companies don't purchase or license your dubious sounding technology so you can sue them?

WTF
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 09:12 AM   #4
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
So let me get this straight. A large number of technology companies don't purchase or license your dubious sounding technology so you can sue them?

WTF
First, it seems obvious that they don't have a product, because they have just completely destroyed any chance they have of ever making a sale. Second, they are not suing but sending "cease and desist" letters which is a lot cheaper. Third, each of these technology companies can now make live very unpleasant to them by taking the case to court proactively, asking for a declaration that they will not be sued themselves.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 09:34 AM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
("Nuts.")
Peanuts? No, there were no peanuts involved!

Erm, so this is a bit of a new one. They're pursuing legal action (at least introductorily) against these companies for failing to comply with DMCA by failing to purchase their product?

I do have to admit that I have, like, and use iRecordMusic.

But client-side prevention of stream ripping seems like an inefficient way of doing things. Why not sell their technology to stream providers? That deserves another

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod