Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 11, 2007, 02:30 AM   #1
BIGDaddyJ
macrumors newbie

Dual Cinema Displays for Mac Pro w/ NVIDIA 7300 GT?

I have a Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66GHz and want to use the dual Apple Cinema Displays that I am currently using on my G5. Problem is the NVIDIA 7300 GT card has 2 DVI ports that are too close together to connect both monitors. The design is kind of poor -- the 2 ports should be at least 1/8" further apart to allow the 2 monitors to be plugged in. The G5 videocard has enough of a distance for the DVI connections to be made quite confortably. You can't even connect the second DVI plug on the NVIDIA 7300. Geniuses at the local Apple store acknowledge the problem but claim that NVIDIA and Apple have no resolution. We tried different plugs; even tried to use adapters to see if it would make a difference. No dice.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
BIGDaddyJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 03:43 AM   #2
JeffreyM
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDaddyJ View Post
I have a Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66GHz and want to use the dual Apple Cinema Displays that I am currently using on my G5. Problem is the NVIDIA 7300 GT card has 2 DVI ports that are too close together to connect both monitors. The design is kind of poor -- the 2 ports should be at least 1/8" further apart to allow the 2 monitors to be plugged in. The G5 videocard has enough of a distance for the DVI connections to be made quite confortably. You can't even connect the second DVI plug on the NVIDIA 7300. Geniuses at the local Apple store acknowledge the problem but claim that NVIDIA and Apple have no resolution. We tried different plugs; even tried to use adapters to see if it would make a difference. No dice.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
You know the DVI-DVI cable in the box? That's what it's for.

Jeffrey
JeffreyM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 04:59 AM   #3
BIGDaddyJ
macrumors newbie

RE: Dual Cinema Displays for Mac Pro w/ NVIDIA 7300 GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyM View Post

Jeffrey
Thanks, Jeffrey. I haven't seen the original box since I bought it (so its been a while) and the cable is probably still in there somewhere. It never occurred to me that there was an adapter since I've never run into that problem on any Mac that I've ever been on. I probably did see it and thought nothing of it because it didn't apply to my G5. Another forum pointed out that they did something similar with the Cube -- never had one, so can't confirm. I'll see if I can't dig up that pigtail.

What concerns me is that it would seem like a simple thing someone at an Apple Store would quickly have the answer to... Geniuses?...
BIGDaddyJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Lycanthrope
macrumors 6502

It does seem a bit daft though to design a video card with two outputs and not to space them sufficiently apart that you then need an adapter to plug them in
Old May 11, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
dkoralek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyM View Post

Jeffrey
You know, I had always wondered what that was for!

cheers.
dkoralek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:46 AM   #6
djfilms
macrumors newbie

I need the DVI to DVI cable

I need that cable so I can setup dual monitors, anyone have a part number or know of a source where I can buy a replacement?
djfilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro