Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm having trouble deciding which one of these to get. I'll mainly use them for walking around campus, traveling, or just at home.

Please give me some feedback! I want to get one of these this weekend! Thanks! :)

toxic-waste

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2006
Vibe's

I'm having trouble deciding which one of these to get. I'll mainly use them for walking around campus, traveling, or just at home.

Please give me some feedback! I want to get one of these this weekend! Thanks! :)

I have the vibes and they are awesome! :p
When comparing the two the vibe's have alot more warmth to them when used with an ipod, a bit bass heavy though(especially on the creative zen)

You can get them with 2 types of cable depending on what color you want, though i find the gunmetal much better looking the cable has a tendency to make a rusteling noise(special word for this noise, just cant remeber it sry.) when let hanging loose while walking. I have a special lining in my jacket where i put the cord so i dont get the rusteling noise, but if you dont i think the silver cables will be better.

I'm very happy with the vibes, i can see why some might like the "cleaner" sound from the shure E2C's(a bit steril compared to the vibes) if you listen to your 128kbit or 192kbit songs the vibe's are great because they don't expose the flaws in the encoding as much as the shure's.

I encode in 512kbit AAC and every song i tried sounds awesome, espcially piano or acoustic guitar, other songs like Dracula and Feel good inc. from Gorillaz are also awesome on the vibe's. Though Aerosmith "just push play" album doesnt play as well as i would have liked, but is the only album i though didnt sound so well on the vibe's.

Hope this helped,
:D

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005

### For me...neither. Amazon has the Etymonic ER-4P for $179. (40% off) and the ER-6i for $76 (50% off i think). No brainer imo.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Just get the Future Sonics Atrio m5. They are on pre-sale still at their site for $159 and everyone is raving about them. People are liking them more than the Etys or the UEs. Head over to head-fi.org and read the reviews.

Linky.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Thanks for the input guys! Any more??

If you want the best bang for the buck but don't want to spend above $100 get the Ety ER-6i. If you want loads of bass go for the Vibes. If you want the best performance below $500 go for the Future Sonics.

All other options are viable too but without knowing what you like all other recommendations are futile. The m5 is supposed to be one of the best allrounders there is (Haven't heard a single bad word about them yet!). And at this price it is unbeatable. I just ordered a pair.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Shure E3Cs?

What are your thoughts on the Shure E3Cs? I have small ears and have read that these are better for smaller ears.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
What are your thoughts on the Shure E3Cs? I have small ears and have read that these are better for smaller ears.

Good question. I haven't listened to them, or seen in person for that matter. I believe there was someone doing a comparison of them and the Atrio m5 in the thread I linked. Other than that, you might be better off asking those questions at head-fi.org. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.