Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Guys,

After a lot of posts, thread and sites, discussing the performance of the new "KickAss" PowerMac G5,some saying it owns, some saying that its slow, I think that it is important to note that the Benchmarks were not made on a 64Bit ready OS.
All the benchmarks were made on 10.2.7 as noted on Page 3 of the VeriTest PDF. I think that this has a lot to do with the benchmarks, and to the fact that Photoshop and etc, need to be "really" optimized for 64Bits. So the G5 still has a lot to give as soon as it is on its own land... the 64bit World.

Regards,

Tiago

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I doubt you will see a lot of apps like Photoshop optimized for 64bit. I don't know Adobe could do to really take advantage of 64bit data.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by gbojim
I doubt you will see a lot of apps like Photoshop optimized for 64bit. I don't know Adobe could do to really take advantage of 64bit data.

Adobe announced at the conference that they will release PS 8 around the time that the new PM's ship and that it will be optimized for panther.

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Re: G5 Benchmarks Were NOT ON PANTHER!

Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Guys,

After a lot of posts, thread and sites, discussing the performance of the new "KickAss" PowerMac G5,some saying it owns, some saying that its slow, I think that it is important to note that the Benchmarks were not made on a 64Bit ready OS.
All the benchmarks were made on 10.2.7 as noted on Page 3 of the VeriTest PDF. I think that this has a lot to do with the benchmarks, and to the fact that Photoshop and etc, need to be "really" optimized for 64Bits. So the G5 still has a lot to give as soon as it is on its own land... the 64bit World.

Regards,

Tiago

Look at it this way also... This is just the starting point... Things are going to continue to get a lot better, more interesting... I have faith that IBM and Apple aren't going to let us down in the future the way Moto did on hardware... We'll seee....

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Also Steve's claim of the 'fastest 64 bit proc' is a fact (to my knowledge)... Apple's pushing the envelope, again... This time whaddya wanna bet we see a desktop, or at least hear about a desktop proc that's 64 bits and similar in ghz to this in the wintel world in the next 6 mnths??? They always seem to follow Apple's lead...

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Originally posted by VIREBEL661
Also Steve's claim of the 'fastest 64 bit proc' is a fact (to my knowledge)... Apple's pushing the envelope, again... This time whaddya wanna bet we see a desktop, or at least hear about a desktop proc that's 64 bits and similar in ghz to this in the wintel world in the next 6 mnths??? They always seem to follow Apple's lead...

They are already out dude. And they use the technology that helped make the PPC 970. They're called AMD Opteron Workstations.

Here is one company producing single processor Opteron workstation: http://www.xicomputer.com/products/mtowerop.asp

There is also a company producing dual processor workstations, by the name of Boxx (I think).

And don't kid yourselves, the PowerMac G5s are workstations. They preform, and are priced at the workstation level, not the desktop level.

Also, if you read some of the fine print in the PDF on the testing procedure, one of the things done on the G5 was to "turn on" the 64-bit capibilities of the compiler. So I'd venture to guess that 10.2.7 has some 64-bit capibilities.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by Peyote
Adobe announced at the conference that they will release PS 8 around the time that the new PM's ship and that it will be optimized for panther.

True. But I seriously doubt they would cut their app over to 64 bit. There are a lot of other things you can do to optimize for Panther.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by VIREBEL661
Ummm... I hate to correct you, but when Steve said that I was kind of like "yeah, right..." You see, IBM's own Power4 processor, which the 970 was based on, is actually a lot faster, especially with the 32MB L3 cache, or whatever ungodly amount of cache it has.

He should have said "fastest 64-bit desktop processor". I could buy that.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
The claim is that its the worlds fastest personal computer (you know... with drives and stuff), not that its the worlds fastest 64 bit processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.