Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Troyte83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
we are a little over a month away from the launch of the iphone and im sure many of you have been waiting paitently. probably since the day it was announced in January. now i know whenever the day it does launch it will be chaos at apple and cingular stores for a while. so i want to know what everybody's plans are on getting one when it launches. my original plan was to camp outside of apple with a couple 4 packs of energy drinks, but i recentley started a new job and decided to get one online. so just curious to hear what people will do.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
If the local Apple store will accept pre-orders, we will be pre-ordering 2, 8GB models. My mom and I are both getting one. We are on a family plan of 3 (my parents and I), but my dad can't even turn on his basic cell phone as it is...he has no use for an iphone :p If they do not accept pre-orders, I'm sure that we'll be camping out. The store is in the mall, which means we don't have to be there all night, since the mall doors will only open at a certain time :)

I wonder if the iPhone is finished and in mass production yet...anyone know???

IM EXCITED :D

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I'll hit up the Apple Store once we know the exact availability date and ask them if camping will be smart/necessary. If they say yes, I'm camping.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i am so excited, too! :D

i'm planning on going to an apple store to get one. i think i will get there a bit early, but i'm not going to get extreme with that (maybe an hour early at most).

i think we need to start a little countdown calendar! woo hoo! :p

gr8gatzby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2001
Charlotte, NC
call me crazy, but i seriously doubt there will be any sort of shortage...not only does the price equal a mortgage payment or 2 car payments for the average user, but then there's the not so small fact that at least 50% of the people who would buy one out of the gates are with another carrier, meaning another $150-$200 in early termination fees.

and for you campers....have any of you actually owned a first generation Apple product? I've owned 2, and to say the least, it was very a unpleasant experience both times, and I'm no longer a glutton for punishment....so I'll be buying the Rev.B iPhone.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
call me crazy, but i seriously doubt there will be any sort of shortage...not only does the price equal a mortgage payment or 2 car payments for the average user, but then there's the not so small fact that at least 50% of the people who would buy one out of the gates are with another carrier, meaning another $150-$200 in early termination fees.

and for you campers....have any of you actually owned a first generation Apple product? I've owned 2, and to say the least, it was very a unpleasant experience both times, and I'm no longer a glutton for punishment....so I'll be buying the Rev.B iPhone.

The iPhone is a rather complex beast to product. Initially, I don't see how they can produce a stock pile. It will take them at least a few months to bring production up to full speed. It will be at least 2 months after launch to be able to walk into any store that sells an iPhone and pick one up.

After purchasing a Rev A Macbook pro 15", Macbook pro 17" and AppleTV. I am still going to purchase an iPhone once released. I am not happy with going to Cingular, not even close. But, I am going to suck it up and deal.

I haven't experienced any issues recently with Rev A Apple products that would deter me from buying a Rev A iPhone.

Let me point out that I am NOT going to camp out the iPhone. I camped for the PS3, it was enough to say I did it ... and I won't do it again. Don't get me wrong, camping the PS3 was a crap-ton-o-fun, but its a once a life time deal.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I haven't experienced any issues recently with Rev A Apple products that would deter me from buying a Rev A iPhone.

I wouldn't say the same :rolleyes:

I'll wait for them to bring out the 2G model before I buy one, the first version of a product is never that great, they do much more interesting things with the 2nd version, like the iPod...

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
While I am excited for the iPhone, I'm definitely going to wait a while. My Cingular contract expires in Feb. of next year, so I'll wait it out to see if there are any price drops, subsidizations later on, or even a few updates to get all the bugs worked out.

I owned a 1st Gen. iPod for the PC and that was not too much fun. I expect the iPhone launch to be much better but might as well wait out my contract.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

Well first, the PS3 sure was in pretty hight demand for being expensive and no games for it. Second, yes I have owned a RevA 17" Powerbook 1ghz, best computer I've ever owned and still using it today, no problems.

I for one will be camped out at the Apple store to get an iPhone.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
I think I will just get in the online queue and not bother with the crazy stores. I figure I will get it when I get it from apple.com.

Jayrod

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Arizona
The iPhone will be different from any other Rev A product from Apple, I think. The reason being is that this thing has been in the workings for literally YEARS. They probably could have pushed the release date much earlier than June, seeing as how they were showing off a practically finished version at Macworld, but Apple is taking their sweet time perfecting the iPhone - which I applaud them for! No reason rushing a release only to disappoint the consumers - especially when it is not by any means cheap. I think we will all be delightfully surprised come the end of June. I plan on buying one at launch from where ever I can get one faster - be it a Cingular store, or my local Apple store.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
whooptee doo.:rolleyes: Just release this thing already so everyone can stop talking about it.

Jayrod

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Arizona
whooptee doo.:rolleyes: Just release this thing already so everyone can stop talking about it.

Agreed. The "news" that is released about the iPhone (i.e. letters from AT&T about the release, etc.) isn't really news at all. They just rehash the same information over and over again. We already knew the prices, we already knew that the official release date was not known yet, we already knew that it would be sold in Apple stores and AT&T stores, we already knew that the iPhone was not to be subsidized... should I continue, or do you get the jist of it already?

Let me know when the relevant news hits the papers - like the cost of data plans and stuff.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
Agreed. The "news" that is released about the iPhone (i.e. letters from AT&T about the release, etc.) isn't really news at all. They just rehash the same information over and over again. We already knew the prices, we already knew that the official release date was not known yet, we already knew that it would be sold in Apple stores and AT&T stores, we already knew that the iPhone was not to be subsidized... should I continue, or do you get the jist of it already?

Let me know when the relevant news hits the papers - like the cost of data plans and stuff.

It is free advertising for the iPhone...not sure that it needs extra hoopla, but marketing is marketing.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I wouldn't say the same :rolleyes:

I'll wait for them to bring out the 2G model before I buy one, the first version of a product is never that great, they do much more interesting things with the 2nd version, like the iPod...

This is where it works out good for me. My GF wants an iPhone, but she is holding out to see it in person. (Basically, when I get mine) So, I will wait a few months to buy my new one, and give her my old one. She is happy with "hand me down tech", since what I give her is usually still very damn new. For example, I gave her my 15" Macbook Pro when my 17" Macbook pro arrived in the mail. (I ordered it shortly after it was released)

I am also hoping that they will offer replacement iPhones at a much larger discount when you are a customer. This way, in the event that my phone fails or what not ... I can upgrade during the replacement. I am not banking on that, but that option might be there.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It is free advertising for the iPhone...not sure that it needs extra hoopla, but marketing is marketing.
The fact is there is no mainstream marketing for it on TV. I am just tired of everyone talking about this phone like its the second coming.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
My friend runs a cingular store, they get them in the night before the launch, I will help them unpack and display them and i will have my camera, and taking 2 home!!!

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Thank god I work there and I don't have to do anything crazy but I would if I didnt work there... may not but yeah...

GusR9

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
and LatinAmerica??

Yes..in June is going to be out for US but when for LatinAmerica? specifically Mexico?? I heard rumors that is going to be available for December...but who knows meanwhile I'll continue saving money:apple:

HOSKINGJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
The fact is there is no mainstream marketing for it on TV. I am just tired of everyone talking about this phone like its the second coming.

Actually it is very well exectued public relations. Apple also used PR to launch the iPod; if you have an excellent PR department (which they have), then this approach has tremendous potential.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Does anyone plan on buying one and posting it on ebay the same day? I can imagine people paying double the cost to get one. I think it will be like the PS3, it will sell out the first day, the only place you'll be able to find one is on Ebay, and Apple will slowly distribute more in the coming months. I would definitely camp out for one, but I want to see how fast someone will be able to unlock it so I can try it with Tmobile before switching to AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.