Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old May 15, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1
yagran
macrumors 6502a

Buying shares in Apple Inc.

hi, dno if this is in the right place or not, but i have £1000 ish doing nothing at the moment (waiting for next mbp) so i thought i might buy shares in apple and try and make a bit of money out of apple until they release the new mbp.

im thinking ill probably be ready to buy the macbook pro in september-october, oh yeh and im clueless as to how to buy and sell shares!

so00 could you please help me out here:
where would i go to buy shares?
do i have to be 18? (im 17 )
would you reccomend buying shares in apple atm?
would i make a worth while profit over 4-5 months?
is there a minimum/maximum number of shares i would have to buy?
is there min/max time period i can keep the shares?
would the rumoured stock split affect me?

fankoo
Old May 15, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

you do realize you may lose money right. apple is a risky stock. making money on a stock is not a sure thing and thats the impression i got from your post.

check out scottrade, ameritrade or many other online brokerages

the split would do nothing to you know unless you are strapped for cash. i mean say its $80 now, the split would make it two stocks at 40 a piece so you will still own the same amount of apple

as far as max/min time period maybe. if you bought shares you can hold on to them as long as youd like but if you say did a put option. you are betting the stock will decrease by a certian amt over a time period.

no one can say if youd make a worthwhile profit in 4-5 months. i mean if it was sure, then the price would be so high to begin with. i mean say steve jobs retires or something. apples' stock would decrease by alot id guess and youd lose money. there are ALOT of factors that make the stock go up or down

Last edited by dukebound85; May 15, 2007 at 04:11 PM.
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 08:20 PM   #3
DarrenSW
macrumors newbie

The reverse can be true too - I found a pension which invested on your behalf in the stock of your choice and I wanted to put everything on AAPL. An 'expert' advised however that tech stocks were too risky and that I should stick with a standard unit trust pension, so I did. AAPL stock at that point was $12
DarrenSW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4
DarrenSW
macrumors newbie

Oh, and hadn't yet split
DarrenSW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 09:18 PM   #5
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Putting money in just one stock is high yield, but high risk. Having a diverse portfolio of stocks is a much safer way to get a consistent, albeit less spectacular, return.

As far as AAPL goes, the (average) target price is around $123 and it's currently at $113. So there is room to grow... but if the iphone doesn't do as well as expected it could also crash. It was under $100 not that long ago.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6
reimerd10
macrumors newbie

If you are only going to put the money in for a few months it is probably not worth it. Apple stocks have already jumped because of the iPhone when it was announced and Steve has said that product wise they are going to stick with what they've got for a while.

There is no reason so expect any kind of significant price increase which is what you would be relying on if you are only investing for such a short period of time. If anything you stand to loose more than you stand to gain.

High risk = high yeild but don't forget the risk part. Also... it's your money and do with it what you will. Nobody knows what the market will do.
reimerd10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:35 PM   #7
janey
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSW View Post
...An 'expert' advised however that tech stocks were too risky...
the idea is that although in occasional cases this may be a good idea, you would be worshipping that "expert" if aapl went from $100 to $60.

it's safer to invest diversely, particularly given aapl right now at highs

janey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 09:16 AM   #8
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimerd10 View Post
If you are only going to put the money in for a few months it is probably not worth it. ...
The thing that everyone seems to have missed here is that you have to pay fees whenever you buy or sell stocks. The stock price may rise. If, however, the stock increase does not cover your fees, then you lose money. The chances of a tiny short-term investment returning money to the investor are slim.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 07:17 AM   #9
kiang
macrumors regular

it would be stupid to buy shares now, just to sell them as soon a new MBP comes out (which will be SOON)
the best way to invest is in share-holdings on long terms. This way you are pretty sure of an average growth rate of approx 10%, and when the economy is doing well, this could rise to about 70%
I for one have invested a few thousand Euros in the BEL20-holding, which is a holding that holds track of the 20 best companies in Belgium. I bought the shares in 2002, and since then (I was lucky) Belgian economy did extremely well, so this year I sold my shares at 3times the price I paid back in 2002!
So i would advice you not to buy shares on short-term, just use your money for your MBP, and if you want to invest later, go ahead, but pick a steady company, and leave your shares for what they are for a few years.
kiang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 07:31 AM   #10
yagran
macrumors 6502a

dnt care ne more lol i bought a cinema display instead.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion