Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOSintake

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2007
ok, first off, great forum you have here. hopefully being here, i can learn more about macs. ive been using PC since i was little, and i got linux a few months ago, so im not completely PC. but i do have some questions about iMacs

1) is there a new iMac coming before school starts up again? i want a desktop for school, so i can have my laptop purely for windows, linux, and taking to class.
2) should i wait til leopard comes out for macs to get one?
3) does apple offer a better discount than just $100? i personally think thats a little small for a student discount

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
1) It's possible, but I reckon September/Octtober is more likely.
2) I would, but Tiger's grrrrrreat too. * starts humming it's gonna be grreat, it's gonn be grreat*
3) Where in the world are you? They normall run a 'back to school' offer late summer, I think the last couple of years it's been an iPod/Mac bundle.

NOSintake

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2007
unless its an 80GB ipod, its not going to work either way. hopefully leopard will be out, and mayb even a new version of the imac before i go back to school

YanMasaryk

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
To answer in part your third question you get much larger discounts for college than high-school.

headhammer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
here's another two cents:

i think it's very, very likely that apple will be releasing new imacs at wwdc.
they're long overdue for an update, and even if they aren't updated at wwdc, i can guaruntee that apple will not wait as long as september. an update will come at some point in june, if not before.

i'm putting my money on june 11, though.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
the $100 is my college discount. would i get more by going to an apple store?

Does your college have a store? College stores often have bundling deals on top of the student discount making it cheaper for staff and students (although, for instance in UC Berkeley it's usually something like free AppleCare)

Tara Davis

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2007
If you don't need a computer until next fall, then it certainly doesn't do you any harm to wait until then. Computers always get better and cheaper over time, and that includes Macs. The later you buy, the better the system will be.

That said, if you need a computer now, there's nothing wrong with Apple's current line-up. I LOVE my first-gen MacBook. The current iMac is a pretty sweet set-up. The mini line is starting to get a little long-in-the-tooth, but I'm betting there will be an upgrade to them very soon. For those who can afford it, the Mac Pro is so impressive, it's scary.

NOSintake

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2007
so what kind of things can i expect to see if and when they make an update?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I cannot comment on in-store purchase of AppleCare, though I assume it's the same.
Yep, I got mine in-store at the Grove. They just need the usual ID.

from what i understand, they do have discount for H.S in some states as well.
Actually, other than homeschooling (and I assume this is more for the parents), there is no such link on http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

And just in case this was not clear, I meant that non-higher-ed students cannot get education discounts. Teachers, administrators, and staff at K-12 schools can, as well as the school itself.

Janey- that may be the case in the US but certainly not in the UK.
Not sure what you're talking about..what's not the case? I'm pretty sure UK is higher ed students only too, unless you're talking about AppleCare, then I wouldn't know.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
oh, ok. i guess ill just wait a few weeks and see if there are any updates

Bear in mind that a number of states and the District of Columbia now have a tax-free week/weekend around the end of the summer, for back to school purchases. The advantage is that you can combine it with the Apple student discount, and any Apple promotions for some pretty dramatic savings -- my sister-in-law got a MBP at student price, paid no tax, got a free iPod nano and got Office 2004 for free (IIRC) from the Apple Store at Southpoint, last August.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.