Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Hello guys,

I'm a graphic designer and animator that has recently graduated out of a technical school, so I'm looking into some things that I can do next in my career (along with getting a better job ;)). So since Adobe has recently recently upgraded most of their software I thought it would be a good time to start thinking about becoming Adobe certified in a program or two. I was on the Adobe Certification (ACE) page and noticed it was $150 for the exam, but when a new version comes out you have to pay $50 within 90 days or you may lose your certification! :eek: So I thought now being the longest time before an update would be a good time to look into it.

I was thinking about getting certified for Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Flash Designer (although the test listed seems to be for MX 2004 I may wait). I was wondering if anybody here is ACE certified or had any experience trying to become certified. They say the tests are about 60-90 multiple choice questions, and I'm not looking for somebody to help me out or cheat, but I was just curious if anybody has taken the test. And if so, do they have any recommended reading or tips about the test. I may just take the Adobe Photoshop test now and wait on the Macromedia Flash test until they update it, since it seems to be two versions behind. I mean Flash 2004 MX is old, Flash 8 is now old thanks to Flash CS3. Would anybody have a clue when they might update that? I don't think I want to pay an additional "re-certified" $75 fee just because they're slow on updating the tests. :p

I found out that there are testing centers in my area but, can you take the test online? I know for the re-certified ones you can. Or you have to go into a center and take the first test? I think the Adobe ACE Certification would be a great thing to have and it would be a nice addition to my resumé.

Any information at all on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Steven

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Aren't these certification programs for design software more of a gimmick? I don't see much use in them unless maybe you are trying to teach at a school or something. I do know that they will not make much difference on your resume if that's your intention. When it comes to the creative field, it's all about your work and experience, not what certificates you have.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Aren't these certification programs for design software more of a gimmick? I don't see much use in them unless maybe you are trying to teach at a school or something. I do know that they will not make much difference on your resume if that's your intention. When it comes to the creative field, it's all about your work and experience, not what certificates you have.

Well that is a good point, I thought about that too and it's very true. That's why I decided to make this thread and see if anybody else has tried or thought of trying to get certified, and if they did was it worth it. Thanks for the reply. :)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005

Agreed. I've been using Adobe products for about 20 years and I have yet to see a single resume with ACE on it. If you are going into the creative end of design, all of the focus should be on the portfolio and your work experience. It can't hurt but I don't think it's going to help much either.

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
If we saw someone with Adobe Certification on their resume where i work (creative design studio), we most likely wouldn't hire them.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I am a ACE in both Adobe InDesign and InCopy CS2.

The reason that I am certified in both is because I am an instructor in these programs. The test is quite hard since you have to answer very technical questions without the software in front of you. In regards as to wanting to wait to take the test when the upgrade comes out, I would advise against that. The reason for this is because the upgrade tests are not that hard. If you take the CS2 test and pass you are allowed to take the upgrade test online from home at your leasure. The upgrade test will then only focus on the new features. If you wait to take just the CS3 test, you will have to know much more information and it will be much harder since the softare will be new to you. If you really want to save yourself $50, wait. But I think it is worth it to pay the extra cash and take an easier test now.

As for studying tips, read the help file system. That will be your best bet. You could also read the Adobe ClassRoom in a book books. A few of the questions on the test seem to come right from that book.

Now, as to the comment that someone would not hire someone just because they have the certs, I think that is just outrageous.

Yes, just because someone has the certs does not mean that they are a good designer, but it does mean that they took the time money and energy to study the program. I would never hold it against someone who passed these tests. I would also never hold it against someone that did not.

I believe that most of the people that take these tests either do it because they are teaching the program, freelancers wanting to show their credentials to nondesigners, or designers who are really really into the program that just want to prove to themselves that they know it inside and out.

I do think that the most important thing is still your portfolio, but there is nothing wrong with having certs. Just don't let it lead you to thinking it will make up for a weak portfolio.

I hope that helps!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Other alternatives... certification programs that offer design, web etc... or take a continuing edu class at a university or college. I have even seen a few schools that are offering online design related topics (check to make sure that the school is certified). Or internships.

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, if your intent is to design, it won't help out much, the portfolio, Resume, & Cover Letter, & Interviewing skills, are all you should concentrate on.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Thank you guys for all of your feedback. Now I'm glad I didn't rush into it or anything. I'll just continue to strengthen my skills and add to my portfolio.

-Steven

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
If I were a hiring manager for a designer position, I wouldn't pay any attention or mind to certifications. It's the quality of your work that I want to see.

So, more or less what's already been said here. The tests aren't worthless per se, but having a strong portfolio certainly trumps them by a longshot.

SpyMaster

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
If you're just planning to be a designer or do other similar work, certification won't mean much in most cases. But...if you plan to market yourself as any kind of expert or consultant, especially for "teaching" Photoshop (or whatever Adobe application) to other people, ACE certification will definitely give you more credibility. Having the ACE is way out ahead of saying, "I got my Photoshop training at ABC Community College."

I'm usually not a believer certification, but in the case of ACE, it's a rough test, and the certification actually means something.

*SpyMaster*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.