Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
I found this interesting--of course, completely my personal speculation

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23quotes.html

Pixar
“After running our RenderMan benchmarks, we can now say that the Power Mac G5 is the fastest desktop in the world,” said Ed Catmull, Pixar’s president.

I'd love to see Pixar port Renderman to OSX commercially, and even more so love to see Pixar start using G5's as their workstations and/or render servers.

Its also interesting to note that the new Quicktime Codec, Pixlet was specifically requested from Pixar for full frame playback without distortion. (why the HELL they didnt have that before is beyond ME!)

It just seems like Pixar has invested a lot of interest in Apple products (regardless of who is the CEO of both companies) both with porting a test version of Renderman to OSX and having an interest in a quicktime codec. Before long, animators and effects artists alike are going to be pounding out the new blockbuster on a G5.

LVzardoz

macrumors member
May 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Fastest or not, the economics of Linux on Intel versus Mac/G5 will probably keep PIXAR from switching its Linux render farm computers unless Stevo wants to trade economy/utility in for a public relations marketing advantage.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Im not necessarily talking about their render servers (even though that would be neat to see) but I'm talking mainly about their workstations. Animators and effects artist need a powerhouse computer when animating complex characters or complex simulations. Its only natural that they switch to a fast 64 bit processor to use in their workstations. They used to use the SGI processor (which were 64 bit SMP's), and have since moved away from those desktops. Whay not replace their existing (and possibly aging) workstations with G5's?

Dont forget, even TD's (technical directors) need Renderman on their desktop to tweak lights, shaders, etc. Its only overnight and on breaks that the hundreds of images are rendered on their servers. Their actual on-the-job productivity could really beef up if they can tweak those lights and shaders in half the time because they dont have to wait on their computer to test render a frame.

Peformance on the user end is almost always worth the price. Sure, they probably wont by 2000 G5 XServe's to render on, but they may buy their entire animation or effects department a whole slew of new workstations!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i doubt they will. steve just invested a lot of money into those xeons. i would wait till next year to see who is the fastest before deciding who you want to go with.

iJon

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Pixlet is such a big deal and brings so much to the table that I'd be surprised if a lot of folks at Pixar weren't screaming for G5's right now.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by iJon
i doubt they will. steve just invested a lot of money into those xeons. i would wait till next year to see who is the fastest before deciding who you want to go with.

iJon

someone on the news page notes that the Xeon renderfarm is leased instead of owned, so it looks like a possibility down the road. Although I agree with you still iJon - that lease has got to have some time left on it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by law guy
someone on the news page notes that the Xeon renderfarm is leased instead of owned, so it looks like a possibility down the road. Although I agree with you still iJon - that lease has got to have some time left on it.
ah interesting, im sure steve got a hell of deal on it with steve and ceo of intel (whatever his name is) are buds. im sure most the people there would love to work in an enviroment where they can do some hardcore rendering while opening itunes listening to music and checking email and chatting with family all on cone computer.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.