Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I have a 500mhz iMac G3. I just got it so it has a fresh install of 10.3.9, but when I try to put it to sleep the screen goes off, and then comes back on immedietly. Could someone please help.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't have anything other than the mouse, keyboard, and ethernet cable plugged in. unfortunatly I don't have another keyboard and mouse sitting around to try it with. I was thinking about it, and I did put in a peice of ram from an old PC in it, could that be the problem?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't have anything other than the mouse, keyboard, and ethernet cable plugged in. unfortunatly I don't have another keyboard and mouse sitting around to try it with. I was thinking about it, and I did put in a peice of ram from an old PC in it, could that be the problem?
I doubt it's the RAM. I've had finicky input devices (or other USB devices for that matter) wake Macs from sleep before.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I doubt it's the RAM. I've had finicky input devices (or other USB devices for that matter) wake Macs from sleep before.

Ok I'll see if it does it still when it sleeps on a timer, without the keyboard and mouse plugged in.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Also, in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, is Wake For Ethernet checked? This shouldn't but sometimes does wake a Mac unnecessarily. Maybe test it without the ethernet cable plugged in too. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Also, in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, is Wake For Ethernet checked? This shouldn't but sometimes does wake a Mac unnecessarily.
I was going to mention wake-on-LAN but I had my doubts that someone would be trying to log into it or wake it.

Then again my G4's stay dead when I try to ssh in as admin. *grumbles*

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think it's a bit buggy 'cause I've seen turning this option off sometimes let a Mac sleep properly. Maybe it's something to do with router transmissions... I dunno.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I just tried it without the keyboard and mouse, and it slept fine, so I guess that was the problem, thanks for your help. Now I need to find out which one is causing it, and replace it.

montex

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle, WA
I hope you've replaced the PRAM battery recently. Those iMac G3s came out 7 years ago and the PRAM battery isn't designed to last longer than 5 years. You can get one at your local Radio Shack. I have updated many old iMacs and I find that a new PRAM battery fixes a lot of mysterious problems that defy explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.